Colgate University, a top-ranked liberal arts college, is seeking
an Online Community Manager to support strategic and programmatic
efforts related to systems integration that promotes alumni
engagement and philanthropic support.
Founded in 1819, Colgate is a small, highly selective residential
liberal arts college for students of talent who are preparing for
lives of leadership and productive citizenship. Colgate University
enjoys a strong tradition of philanthropy and engagement, having
successfully raised over $480 million from more than 34,500
community members during Passion for The Climb: The Campaign for
Colgate, completed in 2012.
The Office of Advancement Operations supports the University and
the Advancement Division in processing gifts, maintaining data, and
managing systems. The department is responsible for implementation
and management of division-wide systems including the alumni
database of record, Raiser’s Edge, as well as system integrity,
training, and reporting.
At this pivotal moment in the University’s history, Colgate is
seeking an Online Community Manager to play an integral role in
supporting end-user systems. The person in this role will be the
primary platform administrator for alumni-facing Advancement
auxiliary systems which currently include: BlackBaud Net Community
( BBNC ), PeopleGrove, and Evertrue. The successful candidate will
be able to understand complex data systems and integration, possess
strong communication and platform administration skills, the
ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders, and be able
to think strategically about the overall technology landscape
within the Advancement division.
The Online Community Manager is a member of the Advancement
Operations department and serves as a resource both to external and
internal stakeholders. The Manager will provide user training and
strategic support in leveraging systems to achieve shared goals. As
such, the Manager will be responsible for clearly communicating
with non-technical stakeholders.
The Manager will oversee data transfers between systems, working
closely with the Advancement Operations team to: craft and
implement data transfer and imports to keep systems in sync with
the database of record, Raiser’s Edge; monitor automated data
transfers and troubleshoot errors; run manage data transfers as
The Manager will serve as a key stakeholder in future systems
purchases and implementations, and as such, should be informed of
emerging technologies and platform strategies.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the system administrator and expert for
alumni-facing Advancement online software systems.
- Providing first-line end user support for both internal and
- Providing end-user training and support on the Manager’s
- Understand the complex data structure used within the
Advancement division such that it can be applied to working with
data flowing in and out of assigned online systems.
- Oversee data transfers between auxiliary systems and Raiser’s
Edge (database of record) using imports, exports, or other
scheduled/automated data transfer tools. Troubleshoot errors and
exceptions when necessary.
- Serve as a member of the Advancement Data Governance committee
which oversees the technical landscape and planning for the
- Run reports and analytics from assigned online systems as well
as have the ability to pull basic reports in Raiser’s Edge.
- Stay informed of the latest technology tools being used in the
- Serve as a key stakeholder in future systems purchases and
implementations of auxiliary systems to support the work of the
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- A minimum of two years experience using and managing online
- Demonstrated ability in independently analyzing,
troubleshooting, and solving system complications and issues.
- Ability to communicate easily with non-technical users about
their needs and provide direction and clarity to improve their
ability to work successfully with the assigned online tools.
- Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to think strategically.
- Must possess strong judgment skills with the ability to develop
acceptable solutions to problems quickly.
- Must be able to work collegially with diverse stakeholders
(both internal and external).
- The ability to handle confidential material with the utmost
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge and Blackbaud
- Experience working in higher education or other non-profit
Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.