The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a top research
university with an ethnically rich and culturally diverse campus
community and is highly respected as a leader in providing access
to underrepresented students. Recognized by Carnegie
Classifications as a doctoral university with very high research
activity, UIC is the city’s largest university and Chicago’s only
public research university. The university offers more than 200
undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs within 16
academic colleges including the highest-ranked undergraduate
business program in Chicago, the nation’s largest medical school,
and one of the top-ranked nursing programs in the U.S. UIC serves
more than 34,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students.
With one of the largest colleges of medicine in the nation, and
colleges of dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, social
work, and applied health sciences, UIC is the principal educator of
health professionals in Illinois and a major healthcare provider to
This position coordinates the administration of the Dean of
Students Office for the University of Illinois Chicago, serves as
an advocate for students, and shares information with students,
colleagues, and other interested parties that promote student
success, and wellbeing. This position reports directly to the Vice
Chancellor for Student Affairs and serves on the Division’s
Executive Leadership Team. With other members of the Vice
Chancellor’s Executive Leadership Team, the Associate Vice
Chancellor and Dean of Students creates a culture of learning and
engagement for UIC students by applying student development
theories and learning outcomes that promote students' academic and
personal success, thereby increasing student satisfaction and
Job Responsibilities (Essential
- Provide direction and supervision of the units and directors
within the Dean of Students Office.
- Develop key collaborative relationships with campus
administrative areas, faculty, and campus and community leaders to
enhance planning and implementing strategic initiatives, resolving
issues, and responding to crisis incidents.
- Coordinate Student Affairs response to major crisis and other
unusual events impacting students within the University
- Provide direction and intervention for students in crisis and
non-crisis including intervening with mental health staff,
providing victim advocacy, and working with staff and students
affected by the crisis.
- Serve as chair of the Campus Behavioral Assessment Team.
- Provide leadership and guidance in analysis, review, creation
and interpretation of student policies and procedures.
- Serve as a resource to university faculty and staff in dealing
with students' disruptive behavior within and outside the
- Develop strategies for promoting student engagement and
learning in collaboration with Academic Affairs.
- Communicate effectively with students and other
- Foster an inclusive University community and promote equity for
- Oversee outreach to diverse student populations to support
institutional diversity and inclusion goals.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range department
goals, objectives, policies, budgets and operating procedures.
- Performs department/program assessments and evaluations to
determine effectiveness, and implements corrective action as
required for improvement.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains staffing and an
organizational structure to effectively accomplish the department
function; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates
- Directs and oversees the Student Code of Conduct.
- Represents the University to various institutional divisions as
well as externally to governmental agencies, vendors, students and
their parents, and/or the general public.
- Handles emergency and crisis situations that pertain to
students and campus life.
- Recommends and participates in the development of university
policies and procedures; Serves on university planning and
- Serves as Campus Security Authority as outlined by the Clery
- Plans, assigns and reviews work of staff to ensure that group
objectives are met. Hires, trains, develops and manages staff to
ensure that a qualified staff exists to meet group objectives.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special
projects as assigned.
Job Knowledge & Skills, Education,
- Master's degree with at least seven years of higher education
experience related to the duties and responsibilities
- A strong record of success as a supervisor, including but not
limited to performance evaluation, professional development,
setting individual goals, and assessment of performance
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a culturally competent
professional with broad experience interacting with and
supporting the needs of a diverse student population.
- A high level of collegiality in working with other student
affairs units as well as campus and community constituencies
along with the ability to build collaborative relationships
characterized by mutual respect, trust, and commitment to
shared goals. Integrity, creativity, energy, and decisiveness along
with the capacity to engage and inspire others.
- Highly effective in all aspects of crisis management, including
the ability to work collaboratively with others in managing
- Excellence as a manager of complex organizational processes,
heavy reliance on assessment data to inform decisions, superb
supervision and professional development skills.
- Effectiveness in setting priorities and deadlines to ensure
project goal and objectives are met.
- Strong skills in developing and managing budgets. Sensitive,
diplomatic, and highly articulate in written and verbal
communications with all constituencies.
- Well-developed skills in assessing organizational effectiveness
and identifying areas of strength as well as needs for
- A doctoral level degree.
- Demonstrated 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in
student affairs in higher education, with specific experience in
advocacy, crisis management, case management, and
- Prior administrative management and leadership experience in
the context of a large research university.
- Direct experience working with graduate/professional students
and graduate/professional school academic partners.
- A demonstrated commitment to and record of leadership in
advancing diversity, equity and inclusion, and exemplary skill in
communicating and collaborating with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated skill in creating collaborative networks and
maintaining key strategic relationships over time.
- Knowledge of current and developing legal issues and trends in
area of expertise.
For fullest consideration, please submit application materials
online by April 11, 2022. Please note the
University’s policy requires that all employees be fully vaccinated
within four weeks of hire or have a documented medical or religious
exemption once hired.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action,
equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with a
Offers of employment by the University of Illinois may be
subject to approval by the University’s Board of Trustees. The
University of Illinois may conduct background checks and other
pre-employment assessments on all job candidates upon acceptance of
a contingent offer. Background Checks will be performed in
compliance with state and federal law.
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of
Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates
selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual
misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to
current and former employers regarding findings of sexual
misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information,
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are
required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not
able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you
may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable