The Office of University Communications tells the Colgate story
with clarity and consistency in order to build awareness, attract
the best students, faculty, and staff, and foster lasting
relationships. We pursue projects that align with Colgate’s
priorities, emphasizing those that advance theThird-Century
. Our work — leading all University integrated
communications programs and coordinating the institution’s public
relations activities, and athletics communications — strengthens
Colgate’s visibility and identity among external and internal
Reporting to the Director of Athletics Communications, this
position is responsible for the creation and effective execution of
sports information and engagement strategy across all aspects of
the assigned athletics department sport teams and areas.
Develop and execute overall communication strategy for assigned
sports, fitting within the broader context of Colgate’s
University-wide communications strategy and plan.
Responsible for supervision of all operational functions on game
day for assigned sports to
- Production and authoring of game notes, programs and other
- Required to travel with assigned teams and work extended days
and weekends in order to execute responsibilities for statistics,
game write ups, social media, press conferences and all media
relations. A valid driver’s license is also required.
- Responsible for serving as the primary and official
statistician for home events for designated sports.
- Responsible for updating, editing, and occasional maintenance
of the athletics website (ColgateAthletics.com).
- Responsible for coordinating social media coverage and graphic
design for assigned sport accounts.
- Responsible for collaboration with Assistant Athletics Director
for Engagement & Events to promote attendance, viewership and
support for assigned teams.
- Responsible for creation of materials utilizing Adobe Creative
Suite, including but not limited to InDesign, Premiere, and
- Responsible for contributing information to historical
archiving of statistics, rosters, and additional information in
- Responsible for effectively serving as a contact for the
Patriot League and ECAC Hockey for assigned sports.
Responsible for supervision of all operational aspects of public
relations for assigned sports to include:
- Authoring and promoting of all press releases and special news
- Organizing, conducting, and supervising all athletics press
conferences providing accurate information to our media
- Obtaining coverage from media outlets and handling requests for
- Determining media placement with targeted and most appropriate
- Effective supervision and coordination with television,
newspaper, and any other media requests, especially in the Central
New York area.
- Maximizing the number of positive media hits and minimizing
potentially negative communications with respect to athletics.
Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant
governing bodies to include:
- Specific conference
- Athletics department
- University policies
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- 2-4 years of experience in a position with similar duties
- Must be a strong communicator and writer, have experience with
social media, familiarity with shooting and editing video or a
willingness to be trained and a proficiency in desktop publishing
(InDesign and Photoshop) and StatCrew software.
- Must possess a collaborative style and the ability to work
effectively within a diverse population.
- Ability to work nights and weekends during athletic seasons as
necessary is required.
- Compliance with NCAA, Patriot League and Colgate rules and
regulations is non negotiable.
- Knowledge and commitment to University, League and NCAA
regulations; good communication and technology skills.
- Three or more years of college athletics communications
- Lead communications contact for specific sports.
Bachelors degree required.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.