The Project Manager supports the work of the Marketing,
Communications and Stewardship (MCS) team in the office of Alumni
Engagement and Development (AED). This role oversees timelines,
project plans, and workflows to ensure the efficient delivery of
hundreds of projects on behalf of the MCS team each year.
Working in collaboration with writers, designers, video producers,
web developers, fundraisers and stewardship staff, this role aligns
the integrated marketing and communications work of a full creative
team, providing end-to-end project management for each deliverable.
Additionally, this role coordinates the work of external vendors
and provides project management support to the department
leadership as needed. This position reports to the Associate Vice
President for Marketing, Communications and Stewardship.
- Collaborate with MCS colleagues to ensure the timely delivery
of hundreds of high-quality projects each year.
- Develop and define scope, budget, resource plan,
interdependencies, and schedules for all cross-functional projects
handled by MCS.
- Prioritize work, meet deadlines, and actively communicate
progress and deliverables with MCS colleagues and AED
- Obtain freelancer and vendor quotes and work with finance
partners on contracts to ensure timely onboarding and payment of
- Manage expectations between vendors, MCS team, and AED partners
to facilitate discussion, gain consensus, and manage expectations
in difficult or ambiguous situations to drive projects
- Create and maintain project plans and timelines in Asana to
monitor progress and recommend adjustments as needed.
- Coordinate proofing processes to ensure adherence to
departmental and university standards and timely delivery of
- Develop and maintain streamlined systems and processes to
optimize ways of working, drive innovation and ensure continuous
- Serve as department’s primary liaison with production vendors
by maintaining and developing professional relationships to promote
trust and accountability.
- Organize and maintain departmental filing systems including
publications inventory, electronic project files, and print
- Oversee the dissemination of print materials to colleagues
- Monitor MCS collateral materials such as one pagers,
backgrounders, and fact sheets, to establish a regular cadence for
review and updating.
- Provide special project support to the Associate Vice President
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Experience managing many complex projects simultaneously
- Ability to set schedules and manage deadlines effectively
- Proactive work style
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Word, Excel, and
- Project management
- Marketing and communications experience
- Writing and copyediting skills
- Budget management
- Experience reviewing and approving design proofs
- Some knowledge of print production
- Some knowledge of educational fundraising, development, higher
education issues, research universities, and Duke University
- Attention to detail
- Planning, Prioritizing and Multitasking
- Curiosity and Information Seeking
- Creative Problem Solving
Required Qualifications at this Level
Bachelor's degree. Additional training in Project Management or
related training is desired.
Two years of experience in project management, with increasing
scope and independence.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR