Haverford College seeks to hire a part time (18 hours per week),
non-exempt, General Food Service Worker.
The General Food Service Worker will perform a variety of duties
associated with the utility functions (sanitation, stocking,
set-up/break-down, etc.) within the Dining Center. Position
requires maintaining the highest level of customer service at all
times. This year-round position requires working early morning
hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed. This
position is considered essential staff and must work during
declared inclement weather days.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
Line of Report:
- Scrapes and rinses food from dirty dishes and washes them by
hand or places them in racks or on conveyor to dishwashing machine
depending on assigned equipment. Ensures complete cleanliness and
- Washes pots, pans and trays based on assigned procedures.
Ensure complete cleanliness and sanitation.
- Ensures compliance with outlined safety procedures.
- Maintains temperatures and chemical levels as outlined by
- Keeps dish area orderly and in compliance with safety
- Sweeps and mops floors to ensure compliance with safety and
- Washes dining tables, prep tables, walls, refrigerators, meat
blocks and other food prep surfaces.
- Removes trash and recyclables and places in designated
containers. Steam cleans or hoses out garbage cans.
- Transfers supplies and equipment between storage and work
- Helps load and unload supplies and product.
- Assist in training of student worker staff.
- All other duties as assigned or directed.
Position reports directly to supervisor and
manager on duty.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- At least one year of experience in a food service utility
- Experience in a college / university environment is
- Ability to utilize food service sanitation equipment such dish
machine, pot sinks, mops/brooms, utility carts, and cleaning
chemicals is required
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly
communicate verbally and in written format to process
- Must have working knowledge of safety precautions associated
with the food service industry
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and customer service
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions
in evenings and on weekends on an as needed basis
- This position is considered essential staff and must work
during declared inclement weather days
- This position requires the ability to transport catering items
between work stations and numerous buildings on campus
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one
place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds)6-8 hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds):6-8 hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): 3-6hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds):Up to three
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change
its direction:6-8 hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or
change its direction):6-8 hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms
upward or outward away from body):6-8 hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position):3-6
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in
stationary position):6-8 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs
with legs bent at knees):Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while
fully flexing knees):Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while
resting knees on ground):Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders,
scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces):Up to three
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain
stationary):Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor,
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes,
extreme temperatures):6-8 hours
Covid-19 Vaccination :All faculty and staff (including contract
workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College must be
fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of
vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted
as an accommodation or otherwise.
Interested applicants should submit an
application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and
contact information of three (3) references as a single pdf or Word
document by visiting
. The review of applications will commence on April 13, 2022 and
will continue until the position is filled. Failure to provide the
required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford
College does not sponsor work visas.