Gym Director - Athletics Center
American International University - Kuwait City
For Immediate Start
American International University (AIU) is a newly established
University. AIU offers an American-style education, degrees, and
majors, with the motive to educate and serve the people of Kuwait
as well as international students. The University provides
high-quality, relevant, and varied educational programs and
opportunities for the intellectual, cultural, and personal growth
of all members of its community. The University values its role as
an educational leader that promotes individual development and
improves the overall quality of life in a diverse community. It
offers academic and professional programs, which lead to degrees
from the associate through baccalaureate and masters.
Reporting to the Director of Student Engagement, the incumbent
is responsible for the development, coordination, and
administration of the credit-bearing Health & Wellness classes.
As well as the oversight of interuniversity, intramural and sports
club programs and services. The incumbent will also be responsible
for supervising the general use of the athletic facilities by all
students. Programs and services are intended to create a
sport-based setting that focuses on the competitive spirit,
positive social interaction, and the promotion of healthy
Serve as the director and head of all sports programs and gym
activities at AIU, under the guidance of the Director of Student
Engagement. The incumbent leads the supervision, administration,
and evaluation of all student and staff sports activities, exercise
spaces, and sport engagement programs. The incumbent is also
responsible for the health and safety of the AIU community when
participating in any sport or exercise program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of the Student Engagement department,
participate in discussions, decision-making, and policymaking.
- Oversee and manage a team of qualified coaches, coordinators,
and support staff. Inclusive of designing staffing schedules and
- Provide guidance and direction for the University's sports
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the credit-bearing Health
& Wellness classes, interuniversity, Intramural Sports and Club
Sports programs, and its associated facilities.
- Provide oversight for all athletics programs and operations,
inclusive of scheduling, coordinating fixtures, and event
- Oversee the maintenance, cleaning, and the safety of
surrounding facilities and all sporting equipment.
- Ensure compliance with interuniversity conference policies and
regulations as well as campus sports policies and relevant
standards of conduct/code of conducts.
- Assist in all facets of management for the athletics
department, including budget management, marketing and advertising,
and public relations.
- Collaborate with other universities in the coordination and
execution of an inter-university sports program; ensure adherence
to procedures regarding the eligibility of student-athletes.
- Plan, implement, and promote interuniversity, intramural, and
recreational athletic offerings including but not limited to,
varsity sports, intramural programs, and non-credit recreational
- Establish and maintain suitable policies and standards for
recreational groups and teams.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other
campus departments, faculty, staff, students, and community
constituents to facilitate community engagement in programs and
activities and usage of facilities.
- Coordinate and facilitate the usage of social media to
communicate Athletics activities; collaborate with University
communications professionals on publicity and reporting of athletic
events and results.
- Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly and
concisely at all levels within the University in English.
- Ability to negotiate and reach mutual points of understanding
among peers and colleagues.
- Effectively manage and delegate tasks to other team
- Ability to effectively create relationships with other
universities, sports programs, and outside vendors to further
develop the University’s sports program.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at one
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the University
structure, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to work varied hours including evenings and
- Must be capable of maintaining the confidentiality of
work-related information and materials.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively and efficiently
with a diverse group of students, peers, and campus/community
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree required in Recreation, Physical Education,
Sport Management, Sports Coaching or related field; Master’s degree
- Qualified Personal Trainer status/certification.
- Experience required in competitive sports program
(interuniversity/intramural/club) – Governing body qualifications
- Experience managing and/or working with a support network of
coaches and staff members.
- Experience teaching credit-bearing PE/Wellness courses.
- Experience training, supervising, and evaluating personnel
including coaches and referees.
- Experience in the management and contribution of departmental
budget decisions including experience with student/sports
organization fiscal management.
- Possession of Red Cross CPR/AED certification and/or Emergency
First Aid qualified status, or equivalent, or ability to gain
certification strongly preferred.
About American International University:
AIU is a new institution of higher education in Kuwait with the
first student cohort admitted in fall 2019. It is a private,
co-educational institution offering undergraduate degrees based on
the American model of higher education. Through its educational
programs, the University serves the intellectual, cultural, and
personal growth of all members of its community. AIU’s offers
degree programs in Engineering, Architecture, and Design, and
Business Administration where the language of instruction is
For more information about AIU visit: www.aiu.edu.kw
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please visit the Job Opportunities
section of our webpage and submit your resume and cover letter: