Please read carefully before applying: You must provide all
information requested on the application form (resumes will not be
considered as a substitute for the application). Initial screening
by Human Resources for minimum requirements is based on your
APPLICATION ONLY (supporting documents will not be reviewed during
initial screening). Incomplete applications will not be considered
by hiring committees. You will have an opportunity to upload
supporting documents for committee consideration during this online
application process. COCC reserves the right to cancel or change
recruitment postings based on organizational needs.
Assistant Professor of Automotive Technology
Open Until Filled (notes):
1st Priority Review date 1/16/2022
Length of Position:
9 months per year - academic calendar contract
Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type/Employee Class:
Starting Pay Range
$51,750 - $60,899 for 9 mos, plus exceptional benefits
Hours per Week:
Depending on class schedule
Days of the Week:
PRIMARY PURPOSE :
To provide instruction to students in the Automotive Technology
program, develop curriculum, assess student learning, and provide
student advising. This position will be a part of team teaching in
a self-paced learning environment and will provide individual
conference time to guide and evaluate student progress.
CTE Program Director Disclaimer :
program has a Program Director. As faculty within the Automotive
Technology program, you may be asked to perform the job duties of
the Program Director for the Automotive Technology program. In the
event that this designation is given, you will be provided with the
information regarding this position prior to any
Additional Employee Benefits:
Terms of Employment:
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental insurance plans.
- Tuition Waiver for degree-related and personal
enrichment/development courses for Employees, Spouses, Domestic
Partners, and children up to 25 years of age.
- Generous monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
- 10 paid holidays a year, plus a paid full week off during
- Use of all College recreation facilities in Mazama Gym at no
- A staff wellness program that offers a variety of activities
and health resources.
- PERS (Public Employee Retirement System) eligibility.
- 20% Discount at COCC Bookstore.
- Engaging workplace culture with a mission to serve students and
- Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt. This is a full-time,
tenure-track probationary position commencing September 2022. Hours
of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
- $51,750– $60,899 per year depending on experience.
- Represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining
- Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants
anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her
university stating the degree title and that the degree will be
granted by that date.
- COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed.
- The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position.
- Upon hire, must pass criminal and/or driving history; only
information relevant to the position will be considered.
- May include travel throughout the College district.
ESSENTIAL Duties and Responsibilities Specific to automotive
- Provide instruction in area of discipline, using approved
course outcome guides. Teaching assignments may be during the day
(including early morning), evening, or weekend, and could include
classes taught at any of the College campuses, live, asynchronously
online, or hybrid combinations of formats.
- Provide student advising and assistance in areas of course
selection, career planning, job placement and employment
- Hold at least five scheduled office hours per week for student
help sessions and program assistance.
- Participate in department meetings, curriculum revision, course
assessment, program assessment, and program review.
- Engage in regular professional growth activities, remain
current in the field, and maintain current credentials or
licensures as required by the program.
- Participate in service to the college. This may include
participating in College committees, taskforces, peer teams, or
- Provide meaningful, professional service to the community,
businesses, public agencies, and other organizations.
- Maintain College safety standards in work areas; ensure that
student are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable
efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
- Perform other essential job functions as assigned that support
the overall objective of the position.
- Effectively instruct all phases of automotive technology
relating to all eight content areas, plus the developing areas in
clean diesel, on vehicle networking, and HEV (hybrid
- Effectively teach automotive technology relating to eight ASE
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or
be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform
the duties and responsibilities of the job, with or without
reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills
and abilities. The individual is expected to follow College work
rules and policies.
- Thorough knowledge in the field of taught discipline and
demonstrated ability to apply this knowledge.
- Ability to adapt and use a variety of teaching and assessment
techniques including the use of technology to enhance student
- Ability to observe, direct, and oversee students ensuring
safety in the classroom or laboratory.
- Ability to work with and present various curriculum concepts to
a wide range of students with varying diverse backgrounds,
abilities, and learning styles.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft office suite, various
course management systems, technology to teach traditional, hybrid,
or online courses and other technology used in the instruction
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with
diverse students, staff, and community members.
- Ability to provide services to students in a manner which does
not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national
origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital
- Willingness to travel and or teach at various hours and campus
locations, as required.
- Ability to foster a collaborative atmosphere among students and
the willingness to work as a member of a team with faculty.
- Excellent oral, written and electronic communication
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Ability to work in the auto shop lab, classroom and office
environments using automotive equipment, tools, computers, white
boards, projectors, and other basic office equipment. All
individuals are required to be able to perform the essential
functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The goal of Central Oregon Community College is to provide an
atmosphere that encourages our faculty, staff and students to
realize their full potential. In support of this goal, it is the
policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no
discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex,
marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion,
sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
citizenship status, veteran or military status, pregnancy or any
other classes protected under federal and state statutes in any
education program, activities or employment. Persons with questions
about this statement should contact Human Resources at 541.383.7216
or the Vice President for Student Affairs at 541.383.7211.
This policy covers nondiscrimination in both employment and access
to educational opportunities. When brought to the attention of the
appropriate parties, any such actions will be promptly and
equitably responded to according to the process outlined in general
procedures sections N-1, N-2, or N-3.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, bilingual fluency in English
and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in
a diverse multicultural setting.
- Associate of Applied Science in Automotive Technology,or
closely related equivalent (candidates must complete supplemental
equivalency question to clarify equivalency) or a minimum of
24 quarter hours (16 semester hours) of credit in the Automotive
- 3years of current diagnostic/electrical experience in
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under
equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify by
responding to the supplemental question presented during the
- Experience teaching Automotive Technology
- Experience in Electric Vehicles, Hybrid vehicles, ADAS,
Controller Systems, Low Sulfur Diesel, and emerging transportation
- Have or be able to obtain the following certifications:
- ASE Master Technician Certification in Automotive
- ASE L1 Advance Engine Performance Specialist
- ASE Certified Diesel Mechanic
- EV (electric vehicle) and HEV (hybrid electric vehicle)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required
documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required
documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please
contact HR at 541-383-7216.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position.
Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of
Is a Criminal History Check required?
Is a Credit History Check Required?
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Choose your highest level of education:
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree in Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- * Describe how you meet the minimum requirement of either an
AAS in Automotive Technology or minimum of 24 quarter hours (16
semester hours) credit in Automotive Technology field.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have at least three (3) years diagnostic/electrical
experience in Automotive Technology?
- * Although only a preference, explain your experience in
Electric vehicles, Hybrid vehicles, ADAS, Controller Systems, Low
Sulfur Diesel and emerging transportation technologies.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed. Are you, or will you be
residing in the state of Oregon by the start date of this position?
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans’ preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable) form(s) as supporting
documentation. You will have the opportunity to upload the document
in the next step of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- If you have identified yourself as a qualified veteran or
disabled veteran by submitting your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable)
form(s) as proof of veteran status, please describe any
transferable skills earned during your military service that you
feel relate to the requirements/preferences of this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- Cover Letter
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable