Woodbury University invites applications
for the Dean of the School of Media, Culture, & Design. The
Dean of the School of Media, Culture, & Design serves as the
academic and administrative leader of the School of Media, Culture,
& Design (MCD) at Woodbury University. The Dean works with
the faculty, administrative staff, and students in ensuring the MCD
programs meet high standards of academic excellence. The
School of Media, Culture & Design offers bachelor’s degrees and
is in the process of establishing a master’s degree program. MCD
has eight academic departments: Animation and Visual Effects,
Media Studies, Design Foundation, Fashion Design, Filmmaking, Game
Art & Design, Graphic Design, and Psychology. Candidates should
have experience working in communities of varying beliefs and
backgrounds and have a demonstrated track-record in fostering
diverse and inclusive educational environments. The Dean reports
directly to the Sr. VP of Academic Affairs and serves as a key
member in the President’s Cabinet.
Mission | The School of Media, Culture,
& Design brings together multiple avenues of inquiry that
produce the critical skills and knowledge needed for students to
excel in their chosen disciplines. We prepare students to live in
the global community as innovative problem-solvers and to work in
its wide variety of cultural industries as fully creative,
critically aware, and socially responsible individuals.
Vision | The School of Media, Culture
& Design seeks to provide profound educational experiences
through inspiring faculty, curricula, and facilities that will
prepare the next generation of creative professionals, bridge our
disciplines, allow students to collaborate to solve problems from
multiple perspectives, and ultimately transform themselves and
- Works with the faculty of the School of Media, Culture, &
Design in establishing the vision, mission, and strategic
directions for the programs and units housed in the school.
- Supports the interaction of MCD faculty and students with the
other WU schools to provide interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary
- Ensures the operations and performance of MCD comply with the
standards of the Western Association for Schools and Colleges
(WASC) and the National Association of Schools of Art & Design
- Ensures the activities of MCD support the teaching, research,
and service missions of the school and the university.
- Advocates for the needs of MCD programs including curriculum,
facilities, faculty, and students.
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing the
strategic and enrollment initiatives of MCD.
- Supervises associate deans, chairs, faculty, and staff in the
School of Media, Culture, & Design.
- Ensures appropriate search processes are completed prior to
recommending specific candidates for full-time faculty positions to
the Sr. VP of Academic Affairs.
- Provides input into the full-time faculty evaluation process
operated by the Woodbury University Faculty Association.
- Ensures the establishment and implementation of an MCD-based
performance-evaluation process for all classifications of adjunct
- Coordinates input into the annual WU budget-development
process, identifying and compiling the requests and needs for
personnel, operations, equipment, and capital improvements to
support the needs of MCD programs, students, faculty, and
- Oversees the budget of MCD programs and activities.
- Ensures the establishment and periodic revision of the MCD
School Policy Handbook consistent with the policy on “School Policy
Handbooks” established by the Faculty Senate in Spring 2009.
- Ensures compliance with the guidelines, process, and procedures
established in the MCD Policy Handbook.
- Participates in the development of university-wide academic
policy through the Deans’ Council and President’s Cabinet.
Curriculum and Program
- Ensures that the development of new programs and courses plus
the revision of existing programs and courses are consistent with
the strategic directions of the university.
- Works with faculty to ensure that program review processes
assess the ability of the MCD academic programs to meet their
specified mission and goals.
- Participates in university-level leadership as a member of the
President’s Cabinet and as a member of the Deans’ Council.
- Provides leadership in developing and implementing the
strategic initiatives of Woodbury University.
- Working with the President’s Office, supports the fundraising
and development functions of Woodbury University by developing
strong connections to national disciplinary organizations, local
and national industry and governmental organizations, and
individuals who may serve as potential donors.
- Avoids conflicts of interest in which financial or other
personal considerations may compromise, or give the appearance of
compromising, the allocation of professional time, energy, or
judgment in administration of the duties of the dean.
- Terminal degree in an academic field related to the programs
housed in MCD.
- Demonstrated success administering academic programs as a
department head or equivalent.
- A record of teaching, research, and service that meets the
qualifications of a senior faculty rank.
- Demonstrated success planning and managing budgets.
- Proven experience in new and existing student enrollment
- Demonstrated commitment to shared governance.
- Effective communication skills.
- Academic administrative experience above the level of
- Demonstrated successful experience with programs accredited by
- Demonstrated success with grants and contracts.
- Successful fundraising.
- Demonstrated success in new program development.
- Demonstrated record of support for interdisciplinary and
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without
reasonable accommodation. The qualifications listed above are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Close vision, hearing/listening, and clear speech.
- Manual hand/fingers dexterity.
- Combination of sedentary work, kneeling, stooping, bending,
sitting, squatting, standing, etc.
- Works with/around and has verbal and face-to-face contact with
This position qualifies for university sponsored employee
benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life
insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, annual vacation, sick, and
paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and
conditions of each plan and program.
About Woodbury University
Woodbury University, where engagement, innovation and
transformation empower people to accomplish extraordinary things.
Established in 1884 as a small, private, nonprofit institution,
Woodbury University today is located at the heart of the Southern
California creative economy, where it is a major draw for students
locally and globally who wish to gain access to a rich ecosystem of
expertise and resources. Please follow the link to learn more
about Woodbury University: https://woodbury.edu/about/about-woodbury/facts-and-figures/
APPLICATION: Review of
applications will begin immediately and remain
open until filled. Submissions must include:
- Letter of interest that explains how the candidate meets the
- Current resume/CV which lists educational and employment
- Contact information of at least three (3) references
- Diversity Statement (1 page maximum)
- Portfolio of publications, research and/or professional work
(10 pages, maximum)
All application materials must be submitted through
the Woodbury University Job Board.
Email applications and submissions on third party platforms will
not be considered.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating
diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for
all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution
committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs.
All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made
on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability,
skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex,
age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, national origin, political orientation, disability,
veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic
information, membership or non-membership in any lawful
organization, or any other protected status.