Purpose of Job
Reporting to the Dean, School of Arts and Sciences, the Chair of
Biological Sciences coordinates departmental academic activities
that promote programmatic excellence thereby preparing students for
Scope of Responsibilities
The successful candidate must be able to provide innovative and
collaborative leadership to help establish a shared vision for the
department’s future and foster an environment that cultivates
exemplary research and teaching. The Chair will create an effective
working synergy among department faculty, linking these concerted
efforts to support Alcorn State University’s mission and strategic
Essential Job Functions
- The successful candidate will provide academic and
administrative leadership for the department in its teaching,
research and service missions as well as managing and directing the
department’s fiscal plan, budgets and general administration.
- He/she will be expected to have excellent interpersonal and
strong written and oral communication skills with a display of
openness, integrity, and a spirit of collaboration.
- The Chair must direct and support faculty during the faculty
lifecycle of talent acquisition, tenure, promotion, and performance
- Through thoughtful/careful nurturing and mentoring, the Chair
will develop both the individual and collective thinking towards
significant academic scholarship and service contributions.
- Crucial to the Chair’s role is the ability to effectively
assess and address student needs/concerns.
- The successful candidate will communicate regularly with
students and use this input to develop departmental policies and
procedures as needed.
- Responds to additional requests or assignments from the
Licensing and Certifications
- Earned terminal degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Biology or a
related field in the Biological Sciences from and accredited
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience with progressively
- Minimum of 6 years scholarly activity and research, great
interpersonal skills and organizational ability, strong research
background, and funding records with recognized professional
accomplishments in the relevant field, and a commitment to
excellence in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels
- Must be eligible for tenure.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
EEO / ADA Statement
- Demonstrated commitment and experience in fostering diverse,
equitable, and inclusive communities for research, teaching, and
learning are of particular interest.
- Demonstrated track record of articulating imagination through
vision, innovation and strategic direction in transforming a unit,
department, school or college.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, research and scholarship
and distinction in professional achievements appropriate for
appointment as a tenured associate or full professor in the
Department of Biological Sciences.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the impact of blended
learning on students is an advantage.
- Demonstrative administrative or leadership in an academic unit
with involvement in fiscal planning & budgets, ability to lead
and manage groups, other stakeholders and programs and engage
students with transparency is preferred.
- A collaborative, servant leader with indisputable integrity and
courage engaging the university, business and community to develop
mutually beneficial partnerships for students is desired.
- Manifestation of effectiveness in written and oral
communication is an additional preference.
Work in noisy (above 85 decibels) areas
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds
Heavy Work - Exerting 50-100 pounds
Very Heavy Work - Exerting in excess of 100 pounds
Extended Work Hours
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Alcorn State University
Equal Employment Opportunity and Notice of
Alcorn State University is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Alcorn State University is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and
Excellent Benefits Package
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- A Leadership Statement