Purpose of Job
Provide expert teaching and professional role modeling in the
Scope of Responsibilities
Responsible and accountable for ensuring the fulfillment of
educational goals and objectives of the Graduate Nursing Programs.
These responsibilities require leadership in both academic and
workforce areas and include didactic and clinical instruction
within content areas of expertise, participation in curriculum
development, and facilitating the development of clinical sites for
precepted experiences. The adjunct faculty member must demonstrate
success in the classroom by developing and using highly effective
teaching strategies that meet the needs of diverse students; that
promote the acquisition and application of knowledge, development
of critical and creative learning and problems solving skills. The
adjunct instructor assignments vary from semester to semester,
depending upon the instructional needs of the department. Courses
in the MSN program comprise the following:
| NU 501 | Role Development
| NU 502 | Advanced Pathophysiology
| NU 503 | Advanced Pharmacology
| NU 506 | Research Methods
| NU 504 | Theoretical Foundations in Nursing
| NU 505 | Advanced Health Assessment
| NU 505L | Advanced Health Assessment Lab
| NU 507 | Rural Healthcare Policy
| NU 508 | Clinical Management Theory I
| NU 509 | Clinical Management Practicum I
| NU 514 | Introduction to Genetics
| NU 510 | Clinical Management Theory II
| NU 511 | Clinical Management Practicum II
| NU 512 | Clinical Management Theory III
| NU 513 | Clinical Management Practicum III
| NU 518 | Synthesis
| NU 530 | Curriculum Theory & Design in Nursing
| NU 531 | Curriculum Strategies & Role in Nursing
| NU 532 | Assessment & Evaluation in Nursing Education
| NU 533 | Nurse Educator Practicum
| NU 539 | Capstone Project
| NU 590/591 | Thesis or Research Project
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains quality assurance to remain compliant with all
- Conducts regular visits (site and tele) with students and
- Monitors student’s clinical logs.
- Conducts clinical evaluations, problem solves, and de-briefs
students and preceptors.
- Assesses the instructional needs of students in the program and
helps to coordinate the development of a plan to address these
- Grades assignments, provides feedback and post grades according
to University guidelines.
- Teaches courses as assigned based on need and expertise.
- Synchronous session leader for clinical courses.
- Other Duties: Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licensing and Certifications
- An earned doctorate in nursing or a doctorate in a related
field with a graduate degree in nursing from an accredited school
of nursing; a master’s degree may be considered.
- A minimum of one (1) year of clinical experience as a
registered nurse and recent clinical experience within area of
- Must satisfy a criminal history background check.
- Previous teaching experience in an academic setting.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Applicants must be eligible for or currently licensed to
practice nursing in the State of Mississippi. Selected candidates
must complete the State of Mississippi Registered Nurse licensure
process prior to appointment.
- Current APRN license in Mississippi and affiliate states or
eligibility for licensure as necessary.
EEO / ADA Statement
- Ability to lead, direct, and advise students.
- Ability to integrate academic standards, performance character,
and the principles of ethics and integrity in all aspects of job
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Clinical expertise as a role model for exemplary clinical
- Demonstrated ability in teaching and curriculum development at
the graduate level.
- Skills in cross-cultural communication and multi-cultural
- Experience in nursing education.
Work in noisy (above 85 decibels) areas
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds
Heavy Work - Exerting 50-100 pounds
Very Heavy Work - Exerting in excess of 100 pounds
Extended Work Hours
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Alcorn State University
Equal Employment Opportunity and Notice of
Alcorn State University is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Alcorn State University is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation (Professional)
- Letter of Recommendation (Personal)
- Letter of Recommendation (Professional or Personal)