Assistant Professor of Political Science
Social and Behavioral Science
Department Contact Email
Job Summary/Basic Function
The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences welcomes
applications for a full-time, tenure track appointment at the rank
of Assistant Professor of Political Science. Appointments are set
to begin no later than August 2022.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Faculty typically teach 12 hours per semester (undergraduate),
including a combination of service courses, upper-level offerings
(including lab-based courses), and courses in their specialty
2. Faculty are expected to engage in professional development and
scholarly pursuits and involve undergraduate students in these
3. Faculty are expected to contribute to the department,
University, and profession through appropriate service obligations,
including the advising of students and committee service.
4. Teach undergraduate political science courses as assigned.
5. Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments,
6. Evaluate and grade students’ class work, laboratory work,
assignments, and papers.
7. Collect and analyze data for program and university
8. Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required
9. Compile, administer, and grade examinations.
10. Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
11. Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on
career issues, to include internship placements.
12. Develop and use multimedia course materials and other current
technology, such as online courses.
13. Perform administrative duties as needed.
14. Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research
15. Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Assist department chair with continual program
2. Participate in unit meetings and other university-wide
3. Other duties as outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
1. Doctorate preferred. ABD will be considered.
2. Training, experience, and interest in political science.
3. Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written
4. Previous successful work experience with culturally diverse
populations a plus.
5. Cope effectively with adversity and demonstrate leadership
skills that promote cooperation.
6. Willingness to seek external funding/grants.
A Ph.D. in Political Science is required; ABDs with planned
completion dates prior to Fall 2022 may also be considered. The
specific area of focus within political science is public
administration. Successful applicants will demonstrate evidence of
research productivity and a clear commitment to excellence in
teaching at the undergraduate level. Applicants with on-campus and
online teaching experience in a range of Political Science courses
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Faculty - Tenure Track Appointment
Budgeted Annual Salary
Commensurate with experience
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest degree you hold?
- Completed all Doctorate coursework, but has not completed
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Assoicate's Degree
- High School Diploma or GED
- * Do you have an earned Ph.D. degree in one of the following
areas? Psychology, Sociology, Criminal Justice, Social Work, or
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Teaching Philosophy