Possesses, understands, and applies a comprehensive knowledge in
area of specialization. Develops understanding and skills to allow
for completion of assignments that cross fields of specialization.
Develops leadership and management skills.
- Receives/Reviews progress and evaluates results of experiments
or projects under control or supervisory responsibility.
- Recommends changes in research, testing or experimental
- May be responsible for a single highly technical and complex
piece of research equipment.
- May review and evaluate the effectiveness of personnel.
- May plan for and assign personnel to projects under
- Operates with latitude for unreviewed action.
- May receive general supervision conferring with higher levels
only in unusual situations.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Additional Job Posting Information:
Postdoctoral Research Associate Position in
Augmentative and Alternative Communication, Department of
Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Houston
A two-year Postdoctoral Research Associate position focused on
examining visual attention allocation and processing of
augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) and telepractice
displays for adults with acquired neurological conditions (e.g.,
stroke, traumatic brain injury) is available. The successful
candidate will conduct studies using eye-tracking technology as
well as behavorial intervention techniques. The post-doc will work
directly with Dr. Amber Thiessen in the Department of Communication
Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston.
Required Job Duties
- Conduct specialized and advanced human-centered
- Maintain accurate records of experimental data and
- Evaluate and analyze eye-tracking data
- Summarize research findings and publish results in
peer-reviewed publications and at conferences
- Maintain laboratory functionality and operations
- Establish new research protocols and procedures
- Supervise doctoral, masters, and undergraduate students
- Assist with grant submissions
Application Procedure and Review
Application must include
- Ph.D. in speech-language pathology or closely related field
(e.g., psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience)
- Interest in acquired neurological disorders and augmentative
and alternative communication
- Researchers with clinical experience with aphasia and/or
traumatic brain injury are strongly encouraged to apply
- Competence in descriptive and basic inferential statistics
(SPSS, SAS, STATA, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Cover letter addressing interest in and qualifications for the
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference
Doctoral and No experience
Requires singular knowledge of a specialized advanced professional
discipline or the highest level of general business knowledge,
normally acquired through attainment of a directly job-related
terminal degree or equivalent formal training in a recognized field
of specialization that is directly related to the type of work
being performed.No experience is required.
Salary is commensurate with experience.