TITLE: Research and Extension Associate in Organic
DEPARTMENT: College of Agriculture, Community, and the
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Research and Extension Associate will
serve as a support person for the Organic and Industrial Hemp
Programs and will develop, conduct, and deliver research and
Extension programming for the Organic and Industrial Hemp
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Research and Extension Associate in
Organic Agriculture in The College of Agriculture, Communities, and
the Environment at Kentucky State University (KSU) will serve as a
support person for the Organic and Industrial Hemp Programs. This
position conducts investigative research, laboratory research, and
field experiments to 1. Evaluate yield and performance of organic
grain crops produced in an integrated crop-livestock rotation in
Kentucky; 2. Measure soil health indicators, water quality, and
crop productivity parameters to assess system sustainability; 3.
Evaluate the production, marketing potential, and sustainability of
industrial hemp grown for fiber, grain or flower in organic systems
in Kentucky; 4. Assist in research assessing timing and methods of
the production of organic crops in high tunnels. 5. Carry out
laboratory processing and analyses of soil and water samples along
with data processing. This position is involved in the designing
and implementing of laboratory, field, and greenhouse experiments,
collecting, entering, and statistical analysis of data, assisting
in developing manuscripts for publication, and train, supervise,
and mentor researchers, graduate, undergraduate, and high school
students conducting research in the program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to
performing the job with or without an accommodation)
1. Conduct experiments that examine organic production of grains,
horticultural crops and industrial hemp in the field as well as
high tunnel production.
2. Compare costs and benefits of organic grain and industrial hemp
production in organic systems in Kentucky.
3. Compare summer, winter, and perennial cover cropping rotations
in organic horticulture and field crop production.
4. Evaluate the production and marketing of industrial hemp for
grain, fiber and flower in organic systems in Kentucky.
5. Manage an intensive grazing system with small ruminants
incorporated into an integrated crop-livestock rotation.
6. Design and implement laboratory, field, and greenhouse
7. Operate and maintain farm production equipment
8. Collect, enter, and analyze statistical data.
9. Assist in developing manuscripts for publication.
10. Train, supervise, and mentor research assistants, graduate,
undergraduate, and high school students conducting research in the
11. Additionally the position would include: operating and
maintaining farm equipment in a certified organic production
system, greenhouse maintenance, conducting informational talks and
tours at field days, national meetings and other events, and
answering questions about this research conducted
12. Conduct laboratory work including soil and water sample
processing and analysis.
13. Other related duties as required.
The position will conduct other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: M.S. in Horticulture, Agriculture,
Environmental Science, or related area. One to three years of
relevant experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Extensive knowledge in a specified area of expertise.
• Ability to use a personal computer and a variety of related
• Good knowledge and appreciation of program clientele.
• Knowledge of research and educational capabilities of USDA and
the Land Grant system knowledge base in the area of
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Research skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working
• Work involves operating and carrying field-based research
• Ability to carry at least 50 lbs
• This job involves travel. The position will have statewide
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical
requirements listed in this job description represent the essential
duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform
either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions
listed do not necessarily include all activities that the
individual may perform.