Research and Extension Associate in Animal Science
- Kentucky State University
- Kentucky, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 14, 2022
- Internal Candidates are Encouraged to Apply
TITLE: Research and Extension Associate in Animal Science
DEPARTMENT: College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Under general supervision, the Research (75%) and Extension (25%) Associate in Animal Science assists the Animal Science Principal Investigator/Extension Specialist in the administration of research and extension projects in an area of Animal Science.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Under general supervision, the Research and Extension Associate in Animal Science assists the Animal Science Principal Investigator/Extension Specialist in the administration of research and extension projects in an area of Animal Science. Conducts research and assists in supervising project personnel. The person will be expected to conduct data analysis and present project results to both producer groups and scientific associations. They will assist with data collection associated for projects both at cooperator locations and at the research and demonstration farm. They will be responsible for assisting and conducting extension programs in the area of animal science and work with producers and groups. This position is involved in the designing and implementing of laboratory and field experiments, collecting, entering, and statistical analysis of data, assisting in developing manuscripts for publication, and train, supervise, and mentor researchers, graduate, undergraduate, and high school students conducting research in the program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
1. Assists the Principal Investigator/extension specialist in project/program planning, implementation, reporting and accountability.
2. Creates and delivers educational curriculums in Animal Science.
3. Designs and conducts research in support of project activities.
4. Collects data and performs statistical analysis.
5. Assists in writing proposals, project reports, papers, and generating other project information as requested.
6. Make presentations at national professional groups or other external groups as requested.
7. Assists in monitoring project equipment, supplies, and other project inventory.
8. Trains students in basic laboratory skills and special projects.
9. Maintains laboratory and farm safety and an optimal research environment.
10. Assist in administration of extension programs and activities as needed.
11. Must keep current with animal care practices and procedures
12. Provide assistance if needed with care of animals
13. Train, supervise, and mentor research assistants, graduate, undergraduate, and high school students conducting research in the program.
14. Additionally the position would include: operating and maintaining farm equipment in a certified organic production system, conducting informational talks and tours at field days, national meetings and other events, and answering questions about research conducted.
15. Teach one course in Animal Science as part of the undergraduate degree in Agriculture, Food, and the Environment.
16. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
The position will conduct other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Masters degree in Animal Science or a related field required; 4 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified preferred. Preference will be given to applicants with experience working with small ruminants.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Extensive knowledge in a specified area of expertise.
• Ability to use a personal computer and a variety of related software applications.
• Good knowledge and appreciation of program clientele.
• Knowledge of research and educational capabilities of USDA and the Land Grant system knowledge base in the area of expertise.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Research skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Work involves operating and carrying field-based research instrumentation
• Ability to carry at least 50 lbs
• This job involves at least 25% travel. The position will have statewide responsibilities.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert