Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened
its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the
only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology,
Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional
academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in
technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the
opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the
most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing
lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from
other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to
higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals
within a traditional university department structure, while giving
them opportunities to apply their learning through research and
projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security,
Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University
partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members
are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement,
problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and
research through start-ups and small businesses are
Director, Auxiliary Enterprises
Job Description Summary
Florida’s only public university exclusively teaching science,
technology, engineering, and math (STEM) is looking for exceptional
candidates to serve as the Director of Auxiliary Enterprises.
Reporting to the Vice President of Administration and Finance, this
position is responsible for the operational, fiscal, programmatic,
and administrative activities of food services (currently
contracted with Chartwells), bookstore (currently online footprint
only and contracted with Follett), transportation & parking,
outgoing mail & document services, vending (currently with
Canteen), the university id card, and other auxiliary services. The
position is responsible for annual budgets & revenues related
to these services, the staffing & management of the in-house
services, and contract management for outsourced services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Budget development, administration, and management. Capital
forecasting & planning, strategic planning for unit, and
P&L responsibilities for overseeing the major cost centers
under their direction.
- Creates and tracks departmental costs and revenues providing
vision and strategy for short- and long-term goals with a focus on
excellence in customer service and accountability for each
auxiliary unit. Evaluates service levels and determines appropriate
methods for feedback and resolution to issues.
- Ensures business and financial operations for the University’s
auxiliary enterprises are performed in accordance with university
and division policies and procedures.
- Prepares operational reports, financial reports, and
projections for future planning in each service area.
- Develops, monitors, and recommends process improvements that
align with the University’s strategic vision while seeking ways to
engage the campus community and improve services across all units.
Works with divisional leadership and campus partners to establish
meaningful operational performance measures.
- Provides overall support of the mission of the Auxiliary
Enterprises department through program development, delivery and
expansion of services offered, and by soliciting for, and
responding to, suggestions and requests from the university
community. Develops short- and long-range strategies and goals to
enhance the development of new auxiliary programs and services to
meet the university community and end user needs.
- Identifies and assesses opportunities for innovation and new
venture development in Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Reviews, evaluates, and makes major departmental
- Contract management of food service (national brands, signature
brands, catering, university & residential dining facilities),
beverage & snack vending, ATM, and the bookstore.
- Overseeing food service vendor performance in development of
food service program, facilities, sanitation, dining centers, snack
bars, catering, and special events.
- Oversee delivery of essential goods and services provided by
the online bookstore (new textbook rental program, textbooks &
course materials, technology products, office supplies, logo
merchandise, general books, etc.). Facilitate the sale of spirit
wear and items by Auxiliary Enterprises on campus.
- Delivery of transportation and parking services programs for
the campus – strategic planning, pricing, enforcement &
appeals, registration, facilities upkeep, and transit services
relationships. Manages shuttle services program.
- Participates in development and implementation of the
University ID Card, meal plan sales, on-site spirit wear sales,
outgoing mail, and printing/document services.
- Oversees and is accountable for delivery of services,
technology, fiscal soundness, and determining future direction of
Document Services unit.
- Responsible for computer/technology development, application,
and utilization for activities related to managing parking
services, meal plan sales, self-service printing, ID cards, and
debit card services.
- Accountable and responsible for all audits, security, safety,
environmental health and hurricane emergency policies and
procedures for and related to Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Responsible for ensuring personnel training, development, and
education – as well as customer service development, delivery, and
training with a focus on the student experience. Creates and
fosters a team with credibility among university customers and
their respective industries. Develops staff who can independently
conceptualize, navigate, and complete increasingly complex and
- Develops and recommends policies and administrative procedures
relating to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assists in ensuring that the goals and objectives for the
department, university, and Board of Trustees are communicated and
- Establishes and maintains relationship with other university
and community departments, organizations, and partners. Serves as
liaison on behalf of Auxiliary Enterprises within the university on
related committees and boards as appropriate.
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and
- Knowledge of budget management methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of business principals, planning, modeling, and
development of related business reports (P&L, Sales &
Revenue, Marketing, etc.)
- Knowledge of strategic planning principles and practices for
- Knowledge of planning systems, quality improvement processes,
financial analysis and reporting, and office productivity
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills and experience.
- Skill in problem solving and decision-making.
- Skill in budget preparation and forecasting.
- Skill in planning, analyzing, and coordinating activities and
- Skill in effectively managing, supervising, and evaluating
- Skill in providing leadership.
- Skill in senior management and execution of complex
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
- Master's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and
six years of appropriate experience; or a bachelor's degree in an
appropriate area of specialization and eight years of appropriate
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Prefer direct experience in developing and managing food
services, bookstore, transportation, vending and related
auxiliary/ancillary services at a university campus.
- CASP (Certified Auxiliary Services Professional).
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may
include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy
This position is salary exempt. The
normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.,
however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be
required. Travel between campus locations may be required.
TARGET HIRING SALARY
: $95,000 - $110,000, commensurate with
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE
: The position is open until
filled, however review of applications will commence
: In addition to completing the online
application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as
an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access
institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide
equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to
all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for
admission, students, and others affiliated with the University)
without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex,
religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status,
veteran status or genetic information.
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be
sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before
continuing through the application.
Once your application
has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional
attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during
the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the
official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States
require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript
evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an
accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached
with the application and submitted by the application
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of
the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include
a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute