Director of Student Success and Retention
- Kentucky State University
- Kentucky, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 4, 2022
- TITLE: Director of Student Success and Retention
DEPARTMENT: University College
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of University College
EFFECTIVE DATE: TBD
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Provost and Academic Vice President, this position serves to develop and execute retention strategies to increase the student educational experience and graduation rates. The position requires excellent project management and problem-solving skills, along with research and analysis of issues affecting students to improve time-to-degree and rankings. The office may include future supervisory experience through office expansion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Evaluate current retention activities and recommend appropriate strategies and resources necessary to achieve increased student retention and graduation rates.
- Complete a comprehensive retention plan that aligns resources to achieve retention goals.
- Collaborate with Enrollment Management, Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Advising, and Registrar to create retention strategies and implement targeted intervention initiatives to maintain successful academic progress and student retention.
- Ensure student success and retention for first-generation, transfer, and international students.
- Ensure consistently and mutually reinforcing retention activities across programs, departments, and divisions.
- Develop and implement a data-driven assessment plan to regularly evaluate the effectiveness of retention activities and recommend changes as necessary.
- Develop, maintain, and report on quantitative and qualitative performance measures.
- Manage evaluation processes, recommend and implement changes for enhancement, and monitor effectiveness.
- Develop programs and services to counsel, advise and provide guidance to students and collaborate with department chairs, faculty, and advisors to develop, update, and implement targeted interventions to increase student retention and success.
- Assist in the development of grant proposals to secure external funding for comprehensive retention programs.
- Regularly update university leadership on the progress of retention strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, Higher Education Administration, or a related field
- Five (5) years of experience in student retention, advising, or other student support services
- Demonstration of results-oriented programs and initiatives for student success and retention
- Ability to work with diverse campus departments and disciplines
- Demonstrated leadership skills in an institution of higher education
- Ability to assess programs/initiatives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills and the ability to multi-task
- Experience with retention data collection and reporting
- Working knowledge of postsecondary academic advising and retention strategies
- Candidates should have the ability to become knowledgeable of the range of varied student services available, enrollment services, academic policies, requirements, and procedures of Kentucky State University
- Strong interpersonal/human relations skills essential
- Ability to initiate and maintain professional relationships with diverse groups, demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of a diverse student population including low-income, first-generation, students of color, disabled, underrepresented, older and non-traditional, and international students
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication
- The ability to maintain confidentiality is essential
- Must have attention to detail
- Basic skills in productivity software (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to collect, analyze and report retention-related data.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and possess excellent organizational skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate university policies and procedures and associated federal and state regulations
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort is required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert