Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities:
With an emphasis on strong organizational experience and
collaboration, the Director of Executive Communications plays a
vital role in creating and executing a ONE VCU integrated
communications strategy focused on national prominence.
This position develops and leads a strategic communications plan
for the Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) in support of institutional
brand-building opportunities that engages internal and external
audiences by aligning communications and marketing strategies that
1) advance the CDO’s vision and priorities and 2) strengthen the
The Director will manage both short-term work and anticipate and
address long- term strategic opportunities and issues in support of
the CDO’s agenda.
The Director of Executive Communications will:
- Lead the strategic development of the CDO’s messaging, as well
as related executive-level content designed for both internal and
- Develop and oversee messaging and ensure the authenticity of
the CDO’s voice and message across all communications platforms.
This includes speeches, blog posts, talking points, op-eds, social
media content, video scripts and more.
- Identify opportunities for the CDO, to tell VCU’s story to a
national audience and execute a thought leadership plan that
promotes the CDO, leveraging their strengths and expertise with key
- Monitor and maintain constant awareness of major issues that
impact (or have the potential to impact) the university / President
/ CDO and provide crisis communications and issues management
strategies and tactics to elevate the university / President /
CDO’s position and interests in a way that assures a positive place
in the public and political conversation.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Information
Management and across campus to amplify the CDO’s messages,
particularly among internal audiences, and identify meaningful
- Partner with university leadership to develop proactive
strategies, positions and messages on key policy issues and help
communicate those messages to critical stakeholders.
- Handle confidential information with high levels of discretion
and good judgment. Responsible for day-to-day operations of the
Executive Communications position, including data integrity,
workflow and best practices in business processes.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or
related field or other comparable training and work experience at a
level that equates to an advanced degree.
- Extensive experience writing and editing speeches, copy ads, or
reporting. Experience in higher education, including academic
health sciences or government preferred.
- Experience writing for and working with senior executive-level
- Demonstrated record of expertise in executive communication
strategy, tactics, and governance.
- Knowledge of the academic environment; appreciation for the
academy and its needs and messages.
- Comfort in the C-suite, outstanding representative of the CDO.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to
interact effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional work ethic. Attention to detail. Self-starter and
energetic; adept at working independently, as well as
collaboratively. Consistently meets deadlines; demonstrates
- Ability to think strategically and develop executive
communication plan that will help meet CDO and University
- Demonstrated proficiency in targeted in-depth research for
upcoming events, audiences and pertinent statistical data.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU.
Department: Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt
Contact Name: Anna McLemore
Contact Email: email@example.com