Student Life Specialist II
The Student Life Specialist position provides student mentoring and
support for a broad range of student clubs and organizations to
deliver quality programming to enhance campus wide community
engagement, student leadership development, and the educational
value of the student involvement experience. Mentoring broadly
includes educating, coaching, and supporting both individual
students and groups of students. Exercises discretion and
independent judgment and ensures adherence to COM Policies,
specifically as they relate to student activities, events, and
Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Life, the
SL Specialist provides leadership in event planning, budgeting,
data collection, recruiting & retaining student engagement,
student travel, campus and community resources, risk management,
fundraising, maintenance of SL records, social media, publicity,
group development and other areas specific to the needs of
individual clubs and students on campus.
Candidates Eligible to Apply
Position Funding Type
Posting Detail Information
• BA or BS in Education, Student Affairs,or any other field related
to the position
• Experience having a leadership role in or with student groups
while a student in higher education.
• Proficiency with social media.
• Demonstrated leadership in initiating and implementing
educational programming among student groups/organizations.
• Master’s degree in Education, Student Affairs, or any other field
related to the position
Minimum Knowledge & Skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
and social media
• Must be able to quickly learn policies and procedures relating to
every aspect of student services that a prospective or current
student may utilize
• Possess initiative, creativity, and collegiality, with the
ability to collaborate with diverse populations
• Ability to multitask and solve problems using critical thinking
• Ability to work independently and in teams
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced
• Hard worker, good attitude, sense of humor.
• Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with
students, faculty, vendors and staff.
• Highly organized with ability to organize own work and set
priorities; work both independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to communicate rules, policies and procedures to
students, faculty, community members and staff.
• Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction
with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to
exchange or convey information and to receive & provide work
• Ability to effectively communicate utilizing social media.
• Operating standard office equipment.
CPR & AED certified – 60 days to complete certification once
Student Activities and Event/ Student Leadership Development:
• Provide leadership for and ensure the quality of annual events
which include but are not limited to: Club Kick off, Join a Club
Day, Picnic with the President, Student Faculty Mixer, Finals Fest,
guest speaker events, and College Hour workshops.
• Ensure adherence to COM Policies, specifically as they relate to
student activities, events, and travel.
• Provide leadership and oversight for all student life events and
activities, including encouraging current student
• Provide budget oversight for SL activities and events.
• Serve as campus resource for Student Life clubs and
• Create active social media presence for Student Life, including
weekly social media announcements and e-newsletters to effectively
communicate events and activities to students.
• Assist Institutional Advancement office and College Connections
Advisors with recruitment and community events as
Club/Program Advisement and Support:
• Provide general advising and leadership to student clubs and
organizations to ensure a quality experience for club members and
leaders. Working specifically with President’s Ambassadors and
Minority Men for Excellence.
• Create SL social media and web presence with marketing
department. Compile and publish messages, announcements, and event
information to students and colleagues as needed.
Identify virtual student engagement opportunities for student
• Design and manage surveys and assessments for SL
• Design departmental marketing, signage, and presentation
materials as needed.
• Work collaboratively with departments across campus to ensure
positive student experiences with student life activities and
Enhance services to students by collecting data and preparing
official reports necessary to ensure quality services to students
and acquisition of additional resources when necessary.
Create quantitative and qualitative student data reports to be
provided to college administration
Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned.
Positions in this class typically require: stooping, crouching,
reaching, standing, walking, fingering, talking, hearing, seeing
and repetitive motions.
Medium Work: Medium work involves lifting no more than 50 pounds at
a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to
25 pounds. If someone can do medium work, we determine that he or
she can also do sedentary and light work.
Minimum Salary Range
Mid Point Salary Range
Maximum Salary Range
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Posting Will Be Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
College of the Mainland is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
sex, age, national origin, religion, disability or veteran
College of the Mainland does not discriminate on the basis of
disability in the recruitment and admission of students, the
recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation
of its programs and activities, as specified by federal laws and
regulations within Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and 1992.
Quick Link to Share for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How many staff/interns/students have you supervised in past
positions you have held?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you fluent in Spanish?
- Transcripts (1 of 3)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae