Director, Enterprise Architecture
- Austin Community College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Architecture, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Technology Administration/Other
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable
access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to
facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Director, Enterprise Architecture
Job Description Summary:
Under the direction of the CIO, the director of enterprise architecture is responsible for the overall IT Enterprise Architecture. This role is typically engaged as the highest-level technology expert across all architecture domains. The director of enterprise architecture manages a team of solution and domain architects and directs that team in working towards the strategic transformational goals of the college. The Enterprise Architecture team is also tasked with designing solutions that support day-to-day operations.
Given the ongoing digital transformation, the director will be responsible for developing and maintaining architecture standards which drive solution designs. The director will also be responsible for delivering solution designs that are consistent with ACC’s enterprise strategies. This role functions within an IT as a business model which requires clear definition of IT business processes including: a clearly defined service catalog, operating and service level agreements, streamlined business processes and strategic budgeting for the team. The ideal candidate will be a highly technical individual but will also need to have keen business acumen.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understanding business needs, business capabilities, and determining the corresponding enterprise system designs to drive the organization towards targeted business outcomes.
- Understanding emerging technologies and enabling the organization to take advantage of new opportunities through technology implementation.
- Developing and maintaining the business of Enterprise architecture at the college (service catalog, processes, budget, OLA’s, etc.)
- Working with the CIO to clearly define the charter of the EA team.
- Establishing and/or continuing to mature ACC’s enterprise architecture standards.
- Establishing KPIs and success metrics for the Enterprise Architecture function and reporting on those metrics to the broader IT organization.
- Owning the creation and maintenance of environment and solution documentation according to established standards.
- Taking complex business challenges and creating high-level solutions consistent with ACC’s enterprise architecture strategies.
- Leading the effort to take existing high-level architecture solutions down to the lowest level of detail needed to facilitate implementation.
- Leading the Architecture Review Board (ARB) in assessing solutions for viability within existing and planned technology environments.
- Managing a blended team of architects in their efforts to build out designs for various strategic solutions spanning all TOGAF architecture domains.
- Managing the day-to-day operational work of the enterprise architecture team.
- Providing overall guidance on best-practices in technology architecture.
- Providing consulting support to the IT leadership team as needed.
- Working with and at times leading 3rd party partners to realize program goals.
- Strong people management skills with proven ability to motivate employees and get tangible results.
- Business acumen is critical.
- Working knowledge of the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of all components of an enterprise technical architecture.
- Working knowledge of The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF)
- Knowledge of and experience working with Enterprise systems such as ERPs, CRMs, Middleware, and Business Intelligence tools.
- Knowledge of and experience working with existing and emerging infrastructure technologies such as hyper-converged infrastructure, on-premise enterprise storage solutions, cloud-based computing and storage solutions, physical and virtual networking technologies.
- Ability to present complex solutions and designs using visualization tools like MS Visio and Lucidchart to all levels of the organization.
- Savvy with regard to typical office politics; having a good understanding of typical office environments and an ability to navigate working with a variety of stakeholder interests.
- Ability to understand the long-term (“big picture”) and short-term perspectives of situations
- Strong communications skills and ability to influence.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships, including the ability to coordinate the work of others.
- Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
- 5 years related work experience including managerial/strategic experience.
- 10 or more years related work experience including managerial/strategic experience.
- Experience leading an enterprise architecture practice
- Application development experience
- Experience in IT infrastructure engineering
- Bachelor's degree in business information systems (IS), computer science or related field
- ITIL certification preferred
- TOGAF certification preferred
- Formal technology/architecture training TOGAF or equivalent preferred
- Must have a valid driver's license
Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment.
- Supervise safe operation of unit. Facilitate safety inspections. Take reasonable and prudent actions to eliminate identified hazards. Ensure employees receive appropriate safety training and foster a workplace safety culture.
$116,545 - $145,681
Reports to Vice Chancellor of Technology (CIO)
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
April 30, 2023 Clery Act
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account .
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert