Position's Functional Title
Part Time Substitute Teacher Assistant
Position Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Governors State University seeks to fill the position of Part Time
Substitute Teacher Assistant. Hourly rate is $15.74 per hour based
on experience and education.
1. Assist the teachers, in the classroom you are working, to
implement an age appropriate, success oriented, and developmentally
appropriate curriculum meeting all NAEYC requirements. Work as a
team with the teaching team, and Lead Teacher to design an
environment and activities to meet the need of individual children
while remaining responsive and aware of group needs.
2. Follow and maintain daily routines and schedule for all
individual children in the class. Maintain classroom management by
being on the floor engaging all children in play, especially during
routines such as diapering and feeding times. Create a warm and
accepting environment for children, families, students, volunteers
and community members. Follow all DCFS standards.
3. Insure the safety of the children in assigned group, inspecting
indoor and outdoor toys and equipment daily. Assure that all
children are supervised by sight and sound at all times.
4. Maintain awareness of allergies and medical conditions.
Administer medication as trained.
5. Maintain ratios at all times, even if that means being asked to
cover in another classroom to maintain ratios during naptime, at
the end of the day or the beginning of the day.
6. Eat with and assist children in development of social and
self-help skills, and sound nutritional practices. Use and teach
children Family Style Meal Service
7. Maintaining classroom ratios when teachers are having
supervision or planning time.
8. Cover classrooms for napping children during outside or gym
9. Change children’s diapers and or assist with toileting. Serve
and feed children in the absence of their primary teacher to
maintain continuity of care
10. Assist with all classroom procedures, including washing hands,
doing laundry, tooth brushing, and all other health and safety
11. Float between classrooms as needed within the Family
Development Center, to best ensure quality of care.
1. Abide by program philosophies on parent involvement and parent
2. Document all important communication with families.
3. Assist in completing all required documentation and reports and
submit in a timely manner.
4. Comply with regulatory health requirements, a pre-employment
physical and lift test; proof of MMR and DTAP immunization and
initial TB test, annual physical exam.
5. Attend all meetings as required.
6. Attend trainings and complete coursework as required.
7. Adhere to all plans, policies and procedures of Governors State
University, Family Development Center, DCFS, NAEYC, Early Head
Start, and ISBE .
8. Attend all other related meetings and trainings as
9. Proactive Leader – Works well without close supervision and
10. Assists with questions and problems courteously and
Multiple positions are available.
This position qualifies for an expansive suite of fringe
benefits including, various insurance options, paid time off,
retirement and investment options, and tuition waivers. Visit:
This position is eligible for a $500 sign-on
HS Diploma, detailed knowledge of DCFS, EHS, NAEYC
60 credit hours, 6 credit hours in Early Childhood Education/Child
Open Until Filled
Type of Search
Quicklink for Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- List of Three Professional References
- High School Diploma or GED
- Certification/Professional License