Early Childhood Teacher (ISBE PreK)
Position's Functional Title
Early Childhood Teacher (ISBE PreK)
Position Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Governors State University’s Family Development Center seeks to
fill the position of Preschool For All Teacher.
The Family Development Center ( FDC ) is a NAEYC Accredited Early
Childhood Program providing lab-quality education and care for
children ages six weeks to eight years old in our infant,
preschool, and school-age programs. We are funded by Early Head
Start, Preschool for All, Preschool Expansion, and child care
The mission of the FDC is to provide an exceptional education that
implements best practices for children, an innovative learning
environment for GSU students, and a network of support for the
families we serve.
The successful candidate will have the following
1. Assure that all children are supervised by sight or sound at all
2. In partnership with parents, implement an age-appropriate,
success-oriented, developmentally appropriate center-based
pre-kindergarten program, using the Creative Curriculum. Integrate
all aspects of applicable state and federal requirements into the
schedule and curriculum for each child. Integrate previous plans in
place for the child ( IEP, nutrition, behavior) into the daily plan
and curriculum for that child. Work as a team with the PreK
Supervisor/Coach t and Education Director to design an environment
and activities to meet the needs of individual children while
remaining responsive and aware of group needs.
3. Follow and maintain daily routine and schedule while remaining
flexible to individual factors that may alter same. Maintain
classroom management. Create a warm and accepting environment and
atmosphere for children, parents, families, volunteers, community
representatives, GSU Students, staff, and faculty.
4. Ensure the safety of the children in the assigned group,
inspecting indoor and outdoor toys and equipment daily.
5. Eat with and assist children in the development of social and
self-help skills, and sound nutritional practices. Use and teach
Family Style Meal Service.
6. Maintain awareness of allergies and medical conditions.
Administer medications as trained.
7. Change pull-ups for children in your group that are not potty
1. Abide by program philosophies on parent involvement and parent
participation. Actively participate in parent involvement
activities. Encourage parent involvement and parent participation
to include, but not be limited to, face-to-face, telephone and
written contacts. Communicate regularly with parents, verbally and
in writing. Perform at least two yearly parent conferences with
2. Report any health needs of assigned children to the Health
3. Report any social service needs of the family to the Family
Services Specialist immediately.
4. Perform ongoing child observations and assessments and use the
information to design a curriculum and meet the development needs
of assigned children. Document assessments at least three times
5. Collaborate with the Family Services Specialist to assist in
setting goals with the family.
6. Complete all required documentation and reports and submit in a
1. Comply with regulatory health requirements, including a
pre-employment physical with lift test, proof of MMR and DTAP
immunization, initial TB test and annual physical exam.
2. Attend all meetings and training as required.
3. Adhere to all plans, policies, and procedures of Governors State
University, Family Development Center, and Preschool for All
4. Attend other related meetings and training as requested.
This position qualifies for an expansive suite of fringe
benefits including, various insurance options, paid time off,
retirement and investment options, and tuition waivers. Visit:
This position is eligible for a $500 sign-on
Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education with current
Professional Educator License ( PEL ) with an early childhood
Requires effective interpersonal and oral communication skills for
Requires effective writing and oral communication skills to conduct
meetings and training sessions, and to prepare reports that are
clear, complete, comprehensive, and use good grammar and
MA/MS in Early Childhood Education
Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
Open Until Filled
Type of Search
Quicklink for Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Professional Educator License endorsed in Early
- * Please answer the following question in 2-3 paragraphs: What
is your teaching philosophy?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have at least two years of experience working in a
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- Certification/Professional License
- Teaching Philosophy
- Written Response to Interview Question 1
- List of Three Professional References