Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment
for students who are part of an equity driven community? Come
join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a
Cabrillo College currently has multiple short-term, part-time
positions available to assist various departments. Under general
supervision, these positions will provide a variety of
routine-to-difficult clerical support to various campus offices,
which may include receptionist duties, word processing, record
keeping, and filing, and performing related duties as required or
As this is a continuous recruitment, your application will
stay on file until a position becomes available; you will be
contacted as positions become available.
Starting Salary Range:
$16 to $18 per hour. Short-term,
part-time assignment, Monday through Friday, with hours to be
determined. This is a non-benefitted
You may be called by more than one department after
applying for this short-term position. Applications will be
screened by appropriate department representatives on an as-needed
basis. Qualified applicants who best meet the needs of the division
will be contacted for an interview. Each year, part-time pools will
be refreshed and applicants will be notified of the opportunity to
Examples of Duties
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to
- Performs front counter and routine program/department customer
service duties; answers, screens and refers telephone calls; greets
and directs visitors to the appropriate staff member or department;
answers written and verbal inquiries for standard
- Formats, types, proofreads, edits and prints correspondence,
forms, reports, schedules, rosters, documents and materials;
creates forms, charts, tables and spreadsheets involving data
extraction and manipulation; reviews documents for clerical
accuracy, completeness and compliance with District and department
- Tracks and enters/scans student, departmental and financial
data into appropriate systems; maintains a variety of standard
office records and files; creates and maintains spreadsheets and
databases to track students, files, projects, activities and
services; extracts data and reports for reporting.
- Schedules and cancels appointments and testing; sets up,
maintains and posts department and staff calendars and room
reservation calendars; maintains supply of departmental or program
forms materials and supplies.
- Makes meeting and event arrangements including typing and
distributing agendas, facility requests, setup and cleanup;
contacts other departments or vendors for food orders, supplies and
audio-visual equipment; assists with day of meeting logistics.
- Prepares and compiles packets of materials; receives, opens,
sorts and distributes office mail; prepares regular and bulk
mailings; copies various documents and materials, including large
duplication orders; duplicates, assembles and distributes packets;
requests printing services.
- Collects and processes a variety of payments for permits, fees,
fines and sales; safeguards student and customer privacy; balances
and reconciles cash drawers; may distribute vouchers following
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity,
sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college
students, faculty and staff.
- Provides backup for other departments’ administrative support
- Maintains office supply inventory.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely
provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A
typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic,
socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds,
disability, and sexual orientation, of community college students,
faculty and staff ; AND
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent AND some
clerical support experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment including
knowledge of computers and applicable software programs.
- Customer service practices and telephone etiquette.
- Practices and techniques of sound business communication;
correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and
- Provide customer service in person and over the phone.
- Review applications and forms for completeness and
- Type accurately at a speed necessary to meet the requirements
of the position.
- Track and report statistical information utilizing complex
spreadsheets and databases.
- Learn applicable sections of the California Education Code,
Title V and other applicable laws.
- Learn the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and other
District, state and federal laws, rules, regulations and policies
governing student records.
- Perform mathematical calculations.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex
and confidential student issues and situations.
- Organize, set priorities and exercise sound, independent
judgment within areas of responsibility.
- Maintain confidentiality of District and student files and
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Uphold the District’s mission, values and objectives including
equity and Guided Pathways.
- Support an inclusive work environment that fosters diversity,
respect and engagement.
- Complete application and answer all Supplemental
: All applications must be received by 11:59 pm
on the closing date indicated above. As this is a continuous
recruitment, your application will stay on file until a position
becomes available; you will be contacted as positions become
Only completed applications will be reviewed by the committee. No
attachments are accepted for this position; instead, please fill
out the application as thoroughly as possible.
Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview.
Hiring managers will contact you directly. Most notifications will
be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are
required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, proof
of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their
Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively
seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the
College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person
shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex
or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion,
marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin,
medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to
complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at