Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of
Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position.
A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional
communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship,
respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is
designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in
creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding
of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact
on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence
in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace &
Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer
and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester.
LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution
by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in
the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce
Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered
educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands
and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and
conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning
opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as
radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Location address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Part time Fire Science Skills Instructors work with
Faculty/Instructors to provide students with hands-on experience in
a controlled laboratory environment. Assists Faculty/Instructors in
providing learning activities and support that will lead to the
achievement of course objectives. Primary responsibility is to
assist in teaching course material within the curriculum in a
manner that facilitates student learning.
Skills Instructors are hired on an as-needed basis, and may not
work more than 19.5 hours per week. Schedule may include days or
evenings with occasional weekends as assigned, depending on the
needs of the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Primary responsibility is to supervise and assist in skills
instruction for students in the Structural Firefighter Recruit
- Under the supervision of a Faculty member or Instructor,
teaches and coaches Recruit Firefighters during their Academy
- Maintains regular communication and coordination with course
- Assists in live fire evolutions and other rescue
- Submits student learning reports and grade sheets. Completes
other paperwork as requested by Instructor, which may include but
is not limited to time sheets, program evaluations, and student
- Remains informed of new technologies in Fire Science and
approaches to learning
- Notifies the Instructor incidents in the classroom or lab
environment and provides regular reports of student progress
- Monitors laboratory safety protocols
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as
- Ability to mentor students in the lab setting
- Broad knowledge of Fire Sciences and the ability to handle the
day-to-day operations of the Fire Sciences lab
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational
- Commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and computer skills
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Ability to manage and lead change
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS :
- Frequent lifting of equipment – may include above the head;
ability to lift and carry 100 pounds
- Frequent standing for long periods of time
- Have a concept of time and ability to record seconds, minutes,
and hours from a watch or clock
- Ability to listen to an individual speak through a radio and be
able to respond in an audible and intelligible manner
- Ability to walk and work in small spaces, various weather
conditions, and various physical environments
- Tactile and visual ability sufficient for physical
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Work schedule varies, Monday thru Thursday, days and
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a
Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general
office equipment as well as all equipment generally used in Fire
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to
carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal
exposure to safety hazards as well as in Fire Science labs where
safety precautions must be observed at all times
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 3 year of experience,
or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Level I Instructor or Fire
Education Specialist Level I
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Field Examiner
- Texas Department of Health Emergency Care Attendant (ECA) or
- Teaching experience
- Four years of experience as a firefighter with a 911 service
Hourly Pay Rate is $26.63
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part
of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work
environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver,
participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions
are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts
for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of
the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on
‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title
once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached
your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name
to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email,
mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the
academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on
your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication
regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by
phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which
Lone Star College provides the federal government with information
from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is
authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are
subject to a criminal background check.