The VCU Department of Psychiatry is seeking to hire a total of
three (3) Research Assistants for the Center for Human Animal
The successful candidate must be reliable, have solid attention to
detail, be willing to follow instructions precisely, like
interacting with both dogs and people, and have the compassion and
patience required to interact with vulnerable people who do not
feel well and those individuals who care for them. This person will
be responsible for gathering accurate, credible information on
participants in ongoing research projects that are being conducted
in a hospital setting. They will adhere to experimental/IRB
approved protocols, engage in participant recruitment, directly
interact with participants, health care staff, and other members of
the research team, track participant status, and maintain data
integrity throughout the study.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Following protocol to recruit participants
- Scheduling and conducting in-person randomized conditions
(intervention and control)
- Maintaining quality control standards to preserve the integrity
of the data and findings
- Delivering and tracking participant incentives
- Cleaning research devices and preparing them for next
- Updating and maintaining all tracking spreadsheets
- Writing reports as required
- Must enjoy interacting with dogs of all types, not be afraid of
dogs, or allergic to dogs/dog dander.
- Experience prioritizing, organizing, and performing multiple
work assignments simultaneously.
- Interest and willingness to learn is highly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Data entry experience, including use of web-based
- 1-2 years experience in research
- A bachelor’s degree or currently pursuing a bachelor's
- Prior experience working with dogs
- Prior experience working in a hospital
- Have an interest in studying Human-Animal
Interaction/Anthrozoology at the graduate level or would like to
incorporate Animal-Assisted Interventions/Therapy in their future
This is a restricted position with no set end date and continued
employment is dependent upon project need, availability of funding,
The School of Medicine continuously strives for our workplace and
learning environment to reflect the demographic and social milieu
of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are
encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $17-$22
Employment Type: H1 - Hourly
Restricted Status: Yes
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt