The Art Director works closely with the Executive Director of
Creative Strategy to sustain and grow Ithaca College's brand,
ensuring a cohesive visual identity and strategic orientation
throughout all initiatives and projects. In addition to identifying
new strategic creative opportunities, the Art Director is
responsible for day-to-day functioning of design development and
production, including ideation, conceptualizing, assigning,
reviewing, and tracking work.
The Art Director, with collaboration from the larger Creative team,
must be able to concept and produce for all design initiatives,
channels, and mediums to effectively reach the college’s key
audiences. The position requires close collaboration with all
members of the marketing and communications department as well as
our campus partners to develop on-brand, compelling, cohesive, and
effective work. The Art Director supervises our in-house graphic
designer as well as a team of freelance graphic designers. Critical
for this role: a strong background in graphic design, understanding
and capacity to create visual systems and fervent attention to
- Concept, oversee and implement design direction to ensure work
maintains cohesive visual brand throughout all platforms and
channels, from magazine covers and features to social media
- Art direction - Provide constructive feedback on all aspects of
the visual brand, regardless of the channel or medium.
- Conceive and produce intelligent, inspiring design systems that
are creative and effective. Work alongside the Executive Director
of Creative Strategy to define, solidify, refine, and evolve the IC
brand and visual identity among key audiences.
- Collaborate with marketing, copywriters, multimedia, social
media and digital teams to maintain and evolve a cohesive, on-brand
- Assure creative work adheres to the college brand and visual
guidelines. Communicate Ithaca College visual identity standards to
the college community as needed, including how to apply branding
guidelines. Review materials for consistency and provide feedback
to campus partners as needed.
- Collaborate with partners on design initiatives and projects.
Preside over, attend, and organize meetings with campus partners
and our larger department to set direction for our design programs
and initiatives. Work with the Executive Director to organize,
design, and lead design pitches and presentations to campus
- Direct day to day functioning of design work. Provide training,
mentorship and guidance to design staff. Manage workloads of
in-house and freelance designers.
- Ensure design meets objectives by actively tracking all aspects
of design work, both in house and outsourced, for accurate
reporting and forecasting.
- Work in collaboration to prioritize projects, manage schedules
for production and designers. Liaison with freelancers and vendors
to ensure the work is produced at the desired quality, on time, and
- Check the quality of creative output in all mediums,
troubleshoots, and collaborates on solutions for improvement.
- Work with the team to plan and implement the annual calendar of
activities and design forecasting. Actively participate in planning
and identify new opportunities for design initiatives.
- Hire, collaborate with, and direct vendors and freelancers on
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and
contribute to the creation of an inclusive, diverse, and respectful
community. Engage in educational opportunities to increase
awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Strong background in graphic design, understanding of and
ability to create visual systems and an in-depth knowledge of
design concepts, both print and electronic composition
- Capacity to concept, work with writers and connect the verbal
and visual in compelling ways
- Ability to consult and provide constructive feedback around
multiple projects efficiently and on deadline
- Robust typographic skills
- Ability to manage projects - Solid understanding of timelines
for all phases of a creative project. Ability to advise on proposed
schedules for design projects.
- Attention to detail, especially with quality control checks for
the work (particularly print/colors).
- Understands and interprets audience needs and wants, marketing
goals, messaging points, and desired tone; integrates this guiding
information into the work produced.
- Keeps current on design trends, technology, and platforms;
considers how and when it would be beneficial to experiment and
integrate them into specific deliverables and/or the visual
- Enthusiasm for creating visual narratives.
- Ability to facilitate brainstorming and ideation
- Bachelor's degree in the arts, graphic design or related field
(or 4 years of progressively demanding work in the field) and
minimum of 6 years of experience working on a robust marketing or
- Portfolio displaying strong skills in conceptualizing,
developing high-quality visuals, and a keen understanding of
user-centric design approach to marketing and branding in all
- Proven experience as a sophisticated creative/critical thinker
- Experience building/creating extensive visual brand guides
- Experience art directing photoshoots
- Solid working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud
- Proven supervisory and management abilities preferred
- Experience with programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, and
- Experience with using a project management system.
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within a generally
accessible, safe, indoor environment, with the availability of
remote work as well. The incumbent will be required to operate a
personal computer and associated programs and equipment such as a
computer printer as well as other office equipment used in the
day-to-day office operations. The incumbent will be required to
attend various functions, activities, meetings, workshops or
conferences during and after normal business hours. The incumbent
may need to visit other on and off campus offices or work sites,
and may need to travel to and from various locations to attend
meetings, workshops or seminars requiring the ability to walk,
drive or make other appropriate transportation arrangements.
HIRING RANGE: $65,000 - $71,000
ABOUT ITHACA COLLEGE
As an employee at Ithaca College, you’ll get much more than a
competitive salary and the traditional advantages. We pride
ourselves on providing our benefit-eligible employees with the most
comprehensive benefits possible, including work/life balance,
generous paid time off policies, career-enhancing trainings,
employee and dependent tuition assistance, and opportunities to
give back to the community. Beyond benefits, you’ll enjoy the kind
of uniquely rewarding work environment that can only be found in a
vibrant college community.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, portfolio, and list
of three professional references.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic
community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to
apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college