Administrative Specialist, Business Office
The Administrative Specialist for the Business Office is
responsible for delivering highly professional, courteous customer
service to all patrons (students, staff, parents, etc.) who contact
the office and provide effective administrative support to office
Essential Job Functions of Position
Respond to inquiries from students and parents (within FERPA
guidelines) concerning student account balances.
- Clarify the composition of student account balances, identify
the need for additional information and where the information may
be obtained, and identify and offer strategies for resolving
questions and disputes. As appropriate, contact other departments
on behalf of the student to resolve the issue.
Assist students and authorized users in using the online payment
portal (TouchNet) and providing customer service at the cashier
Will serve as a backup cashier when a single cashier is present or
During busy times, will work at the cashier window as assigned. (4
hours per day, every other week, or 8 hours per day).
- Cashier duties include but are not limited to receiving and
receipting payments on student accounts made at the cashier window,
by mail, or by dropbox. Organize and disburse checks, maintain
standards of verification (obtaining signatures, requiring proper
ID, date stamping check stubs, or check copies when appropriate)
for excess financial aid and emergency student loans. Receive and
receipt payments from University departments made at the cashier
window, by mail, telephone, or dropbox. Close and balance cash
drawer daily against Cashiering Session report. Submit checks to
the bank via Remote Deposit Scanner, balancing bank approval(s) to
Responsible for answering inquiries about Perkins’ loans to ensure
loan recipients are fully aware of and understand issues that
affect them, options available, implications for account
delinquency, and other concerns related to each individual.
- Create and maintain loan files for individuals with outstanding
Perkins loan balances.
- Monitor and track loan account balances to identify delinquent
- As the liaison between students, the Perkins Loan servicing
agency (University Accounting Services – UAS ), contracted
collection agencies, and the Kansas Debt Recovery System assist in
obtaining and relaying information that will affect the recovery of
Work with students to obtain additional information and
documentation to determine eligibility for Perkins loan
cancellations, deferments, forbearances, consolidation loans and
other repayment options.
- Compile and submit documentation to employers, UAS, and the
Direct Loan Servicing Center to initiate repayment processing
according to eligibility determination.
- Monitor records of Perkins bankruptcy filings and discharge
dates, obtain documentation for substantiation and submit proofs of
claim to lenders and other stakeholders.
- Extract reports, provide information and assist with the annual
audit of the Perkins loan fund.
Respond to inquiries regarding the availability of emergency loan
funds and the process to apply.
- Review loan requests and documentation. Assist students as
needed to ensure the policies and procedures are followed.
- Complete and submit forms to initiate the processing of
approved emergency loans.
- Release emergency loan checks to students.
- Track emergency loans’ repayment status, post late fees as
necessary, and place holds on student accounts with delinquent
Provide general administrative support to the office which
includes, receptionist duties as needed, responding to inquiries,
document imaging, processing and preparing mail, and handling
interoffice courier runs between departments.
Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. One year of full-time
equivalent work experience or relevant education or a combination
of relevant education and experience equal to one year of full-time
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Effective professional interpersonal and communication
- Demonstrated customer service proficiency.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
- Work experience in accounts receivable, accounting or
Special Instructions to Applicant
The interview process may require the completion of skills
assessments to determine proficiency in the software and skills
needed to perform the essential functions of the position. If
additional testing is required, the information will be provided to
candidates selected for interviews.
12.98 per hour with potential for a higher entry rate commensurate
Regular Business Hours
For an overview of the excellent benefits package, Washburn
provides employees visit
- After completing 1 year of service in a benefits-eligible
position, the University will contribute an amount equal to 10% of
base pay into an employee’s defined contribution plan with TIAA .
- After one year of continuous employment, eligible employees may
officially enroll in University courses for credit or audit without
having to pay applicable tuition and fees. Law School Courses
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a
campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * How many years of customer service experience do you have?
- 5 or more years
- 2 to 5 years
- 6 months to 2 years
- * Do you have effective Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- * Do you have work experience in a higher education
- Yes, in the field I am applying for
- Yes, but in a different field than I am applying for
- * Do you have one year of full-time equivalent work experience
or relevant education or a combination of relevant education and
experience equal to one year of full-time work experience?
- Cover Letter