The Director of Diversity and Inclusion will lead a team of
professionals to advance the mission and vision of the Office of
Student Life through the lens of equity and inclusion. The Director
is primarily responsible for the leadership, development and
oversight of robust engagement programs through proving a holistic
multicultural experience. The Director oversees and works in
collaboration with (3) Program Coordinators and Graduate Assistant
and reports directly to the Assistant Dean for Student Involvement.
The Director has an active role in the general administration and
serves as a liaison to underrepresented students, connecting them
with leadership opportunities and other opportunities for
involvement on campus and in the community. The Director is an
active member of the Office of Student Life Leadership team and
must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse and inclusive
atmosphere for faculty, staff and students.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Advising and Supervising
- Provide leadership, development, and supervision (3) Program
Coordinators and a Graduate Assistant.
- Work with the Program Coordinators, Graduate Assistant and
Assistant Dean for Student Involvement to create department goals,
training and development, learning outcomes, and assessment plans
that are in line with the vision and strategic plan of the
department and institution.
- Lead and support student programming efforts and assists with
program advisement, implementation, marketing, training and
- Oversee International Student Success to facilitate programs,
manage compliance and see that all international student issues are
- Serves as a liaison on various department committees that are
directly related to equity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Responsible for strategic and innovative decision making for
departmental programming, provide oversight and supervision for
both the Multicultural Scholar’s program and diversity and
inclusion student organizations.
- Provides overall leadership, engagement and strategic growth
for all cultural student organizations and clubs.
- Collaborates with the Dean of Students office on reviewing
issues and cases that may encounter student bias incident
reporting. Serves as a reviewer and liaison to help facilitate and
- Manage effective daily operations for the office (budgeting,
staffing, and web page, etc.)
Program Development, Implementation, Leadership and Engagement,
- Serve on a variety of committees within the Office of Student
Life and University community and participate in all department
- Collaborates with the Office of University Events, and other
departments as well as key faculty/staff advisors for student
organization success, deliverables and strategic growth.
- Plan and execute large scale campus-wide programs in
conjunction with the ODI professional and paraprofessional staff
team to execute culturally based observances (i.e., MLK Annual
celebration, Heritage Month programming, Women’s History, and
LGBTQIA awareness, etc.)
- Provide effective programs and services for underrepresented
students (i.e. retention)
- Works with university leadership on campus wide diversity,
inclusion, equity, and social justice issues, programs, education,
assessment and evaluations.
- Collects program evaluations/attendance data and tracks
cultural engagement across the university, to achieve strategic
goals in-line with the University mission.
- Exceptional project management and leadership skills to include
the ability to prioritize, organize and lead multiple, concurrent
initiatives: seeing project(s) to successful completion.
- Contributes to the achievement of enrollment goals by designing
programs that contribute to the recruitment and retention of
students and by assisting other departments with enrollment-related
- Manages and oversees the operating budget for Diversity and
Inclusion and works with Assistant Dean for Student Involvement and
Vice President of Student Life on department budget.
- Develops and delivers Diversity and Inclusion publications
including, but not limited to: ODI Monthly Newsletter, social media
outlets, websites, digital signage presence and handbooks and
- Seeks ways, through equity and inclusion, to evidence and
support student understanding of the merger between liberal and
- Actively seek knowledge of Engage, Campus Labs platform, or
similar software systems.
- Participates in New Student Orientation, Admissions visit days,
University Scholars Weekend and other university-wide events as
- Partners with other Student Life staff as indicated and seeks
out opportunities to work with others.
- Assist in the coordination and selection of student leaders for
experiential leadership opportunities throughout the academic year
to attend Cultural Immersion Trips and other culturally based
- Assist with campus wide programs through collaboration with
Residential Life, Diversity & Inclusion and other departments
within the campus community as assigned.
- Maintain positive communications with students, student leaders
and faculty/staff advisors in the Office of Diversity and Inclusion
and Office of Student Life and campus community.
- Attend Student Life and ODI meetings, training sessions,
retreats, and planning sessions.
- Maintains a high profile at student programs, athletic events
and campus initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master's degree in student
development or related field preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in Student Engagement, Student
Leadership, event planning and student organization advising
- Exemplary leadership skills in professional development,
student engagement, leadership and development, and student
organization programming and implementation
- Strong commitment to ethnic and cultural diversity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of competency in the use of technology to accomplish
the above goals
June 29, 2022