Colgate University, among the top liberal arts institutions in the
country, seeks an experienced and thoughtfulInstructional
Designer (Innovative Media)
, to join a thriving team in the
Learning & Applied Innovation group within Information
Technology Services. This is an exciting opportunity for a
forward-thinking professional who is passionate about working at
the intersection of teaching, learning and technology, to develop
services and programs aimed at supporting inclusive educational
ColgateInformation Technology Services
( ITS ) is a dynamic
organization that serves the diverse technology needs of the
university community. Comprised of several functional areas –
Classrooms, Digital Media & Events; Data Analytics &
Decision Support; Engagement & Support; Information Security;
Learning & Applied Innovation; Services & Shared
Infrastructure – ITS prides itself on exceptional customer service
and building collaborative relationships to meet the unique needs
of our liberal arts campus. ITS endeavors to foster an inclusive
environment that values diversity, professional development,
creativity and innovation to support the growth of individuals and
the organization. Under the leadership of the CIO, ITS is embarking
on a strategic planning process to align services and resources
with several exciting new initiatives identified in
Colgate’sThird Century Plan
Working collaboratively as a member of the Learning & Applied
Innovation team, theInstructional Designer for Innovative
is responsible for providing leadership and guidance in
the integration of current and emerging technologies to enhance
teaching, learning and research. A primary focus of the position
will be to support the exploration and use of innovative media for
pedagogy, scholarship and creative work, including instructional
use of audio / video (e.g., digital storytelling, new media
development). The Instructional Designer for Innovative Media will
also manage a learning space, theDigital Learning and Media
( DLMC ) that offers direct support of curricular
projects involving faculty, students and staff. In addition, the
Instructional Designer supervises and provides mentorship to a team
of student mediaconsultants who provide support to peers working on
digital media projects in the DLMC .
Primary accountabilities include:
- Provide instructional design consultation to support faculty
and academic program personnel to enhance instruction with digital
media and tools (conducting needs analysis, instructional materials
design, and course assignment development).
- Develop and facilitate learning opportunities that promote
exploration and experimentation with digital media to support
learning and coursework.
- Participate in shared leadership to support the development of
the Digital Learning & Media Center ( DLMC ) as a premiere
campus learning space (including the curation and maintenance of a
digital technology lending pool).
- Provide instruction and resources for existing and newly
developed programs supported by the DLMC (e.g., digital
storytelling, video narratives).
- Engage in the management and mentorship of the DLMC student
media consultants.(including yearly hiring, managing work
schedules, cultivating skill development, and supporting project
- Collaborate to provide support for the instructional use of
enterprise video platform technology.
- Participate in the exploration of digital fabrication / maker
technologies to support new learning opportunities.
- Initiate and contribute to team-based project work.
- Regularly engage in outreach and consultation with faculty
members to develop a grounded understanding of instructional
approaches, course design challenges and scholarly interests.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with colleagues on
theLearning and Applied Innovationteam, the Center for
Learning, Teaching and Research ( CLTR ), and University Libraries,
to strengthen support for the academic mission of the
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience assisting faculty members (K-12 /
college) with the effective use of technology to support teaching
and learning, including facilitation of workshops to support
course-based digital media projects.
- Broad experience integrating web-based learning tools in
educational contexts, combined with digital video editing skills,
strong understanding of the use of innovative media, and support
for creating instructional content using audio / video (e.g.,
digital storytelling, podcasts, screen recording,
- Deep understanding and knowledge of teaching and learning —
demonstrated teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of instructional design principles /
practices (e.g., needs assessments, task analysis, activity design,
prototyping, evaluation), to support the development of in-person
and hybrid courses.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Three (3) or more years experience working with clients in
instructional design or educational development in a university
- Experience supervising and mentoring students in a university
- Demonstrated understanding of educational technology trends,
issues, and innovations.
- Experience supporting the use of emerging digital media in
educational settings (e.g., 360 video, knowledge of AR/VR systems,
digital animation principles).
- Experience with digital fabrication / maker technologies (e.g.,
3D modelling / printing, microelectronics, laser cutting,
- Familiarity and experience with enterprise level video
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in project management.
- Experience designing and conducting program evaluations and/or
- Experience participating in pilot and large initiatives across
an entire organization through consultation, facilitation, and
Master’s degree in a relevant field (including but not limited to
education, instructional design or educational technology)
Bachelor’s degree with an equivalent combination of relevant
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin,
marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking,
familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from
historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.