A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic success, providing leadership in FMU’s School of
In this role the Dean is responsible for leadership and oversight
of the school’s academic and research enterprise as well as leading
the administration, development, and direction of academic
programs, strategic planning, and fundraising.
- Cultivating local, national, and global relationships and
sources of support and working closely with the Office of
Advancement to secure major gifts and to promote the image of the
School and its programs.
- Fostering a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one
that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives, to
attract, recruit, and retain top faculty, staff, and students.
- Creating and implementing a student-centered vision and
strategy that includes measurable outcomes for student success,
through a process that engenders trust and includes faculty, staff,
student, alumni, and industry
- Leading faculty and staff to develop existing and nurture new
academic and research programs that yield exceptional
- Developing and implementing a recruitment and marketing plan
that shows evidence of faculty and staff involvement, measurable
annual goals for new students and for retention of students and
promoting collaboration with industry to develop and strengthen the
program curricula to meet market needs.
- Creating professional development opportunities for faculty and
staff to upgrade their expertise in the implementation of
innovative pedagogy and andragogy, the use of technology, and the
development of scholarship/creative expression within their
- Providing for structured, faculty-led curriculum reviews and
updates that reflect standards and changes in the discipline;
ensuring assessment plans are in place including production of
annual reports on both internal student learning outcomes and
program outcomes; and ensuring continued certification and the
establishment and maintenance of accreditation of degree
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strengthening relationships with alumni and other strategic
external partners to support the School’s research, scholarly,
educational, service, and fundraising goals; identifying and
partnering with leading organizations to promote growth for the
field and employment opportunities for students.
- Collaborating effectively with appropriate industries and other
constituents in the region and throughout the state of Florida and
representing FMU and the School of Business with external
- Prioritizing expenditures and effectively managing resources in
a manner that demonstrates accountability and support for the
- Managing academic processes within the unit including the
review and approval of student transfer transcripts, graduation
application and clearance processes, drop-and-add, etc.
- Providing accurate, timely responses to requested information
and ongoing implementation of strategies to ensure compliance with
rules and regulations.
- Recommending renewal of faculty contracts, compensation,
promotion, tenure, honors and awards, non-renewal or dismissal in
collaboration with the Department Chairs.
- Establishing a culture of assessment and continuous improvement
in the School, leading to innovations in pedagogy and creative
opportunities to challenge and nurture students in the pursuit of
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- A commitment and ability to represent the School of Business
with external communities; a demonstrably deep understanding of the
University’s history, mission, and strategic plan.
- The ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with
relevant industry, government and nonprofit entities in the region
and throughout the state of Florida.
- Experience as an effective administrator in higher education,
including strategic planning, curriculum oversight, and the
management of fiscal affairs, personnel, and grants, in the role of
dean, associate dean, department chair, or the leader of a center
and/or institute; a commitment to student success and a passion for
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative,
resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- This position requires a doctorate in a field represented in
the School of Business with an accumulation of scholarship,
service, and teaching commiserate with the rank of full professor,
an established record of teaching, research, external funding, and
scholarship in the discipline.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, LinkedIn Learning, as well as
knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure,
workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with Jenzabar
technology suite for higher education.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, and
ability to maintain a flexible work schedule that may include
working nights and weekends.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity