Personal and Career Counselor
- St. Louis Community College
- Missouri, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jan 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Counsellor Education, Professional Fields, Social Work & Human Services, Administrative, Student Affairs, Career Services, Counseling, Disabled Student Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Title: Personal and Career Counselor
Employee Classification: Professional
Department Community Services
Performs duties necessary to provide guidance to prospective project enrollees by determining basic eligibility, conducting screening, and providing career-based counseling. Works in collaboration with Project Manager, Job Corps Project Partnerships to assist in documentation and tracking of recommendations, services provided and assistance with instructors, staff and project related activities. Understands basic academic advising functions.
Primary Duties Performed:
- Provides guidance to prospective participants by determining basic eligibility, conducting screening, and providing career- based counseling.
- Services including career assessment results interpretation and assistance in career choice and program selection.
- Assists projects participants with the development of short and long-term personal and career goals.
- Assists participants with use of the STLCC on-line catalog and accelerated career systems.
- Works collaboratively with the project Employment Specialist on cross-training of basic functions of the two departments and in the provision of career exploration and development information and resources.
- Understands basic academic advising, program planning and course selection.
- Participates in recruitment and engages in student retention and interventions strategies. Works in tandem with the project Employment Specialist as a facilitator for employer recruiting activities such as career/job fairs, on-campus recruiting activities, workshops and educational programs as needed.
- Assists with instructor and staff relationship-building to facilitate the exchange of information for tracking requirements regarding academic and career training success.
- Assists in referrals for additional support services as needed.
- Assists with follow-up tracking and reporting of data on participants to satisfy state, agency and other federal requirements to provide project partners and their departments with data necessary to evaluate project success.
- Writes reports and proposals as necessary.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in human services, psychology, counseling, education or closely related field with three (3) years of relevant full-time experience
- Associate's degree in human services, psychology, counseling, education or closely related field and five (5) years relevant full-time experience.
Experience in working with youth ages 16-24.
Experience with Jobs Corps outreach and admissions beneficial. Bilingual skills preferred.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
St. Louis Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experience, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert