Executive Assistant I
Number of Positions:
Type of Appointment:
Required Documents Needed to Upload at Time of
· Cover Letter
· Unofficial Transcripts
· Three Professional References (See below)
Reference check requirements:
· Non-Supervisory role: three (3) current or former
· Personal references (friends, co-workers, clergy, customers,
relatives) are not considered acceptable references
About Pellissippi State Community College
Pellissippi State Community College is one of 40 institutions in
the Tennessee Board of Regents system. TBR is the governing board
of the College System of Tennessee, offering more than 400 programs
of study at the state’s 13 community colleges, 27 colleges of
applied technology and the online TN eCampus. The college serves an
average of 10,000 students, making it the largest community college
in Tennessee by enrollment. Pellissippi State Community College
offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package that
includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement
programs, time off including annual and sick leave, and much
In 2018, Pellissippi State became a member of an Achieve the Dream
(ATD) three-year cohort adopting a theme of Start Strong, Stay
Strong, Finish Strong for our work. Achieve the Dream has partnered
with the program Integrated Student Experience at Pellissippi State
(Insteps) to improve the fall-to-fall retention rates for full-time
and part-time students by 13% in the next five years. Our vision is
to ensure every student who attends Pellissippi State will develop
a sense of belonging and confidence in their ability to succeed
academically, grow intellectually, and make timely progress towards
achieving their educational and vocational goals. If this is
something that aligns with your values, we encourage you to
Culture and Diversity
Knoxville claims a wide range of forward thinking national and
international talents. The scholarly influence on the Knoxville
metropolitan area bred literary greats including James Agee, Cormac
McCarthy, and Nikki Giovanni. Knoxville is home to one of the
largest sculptures dedicated to an African American in the country.
Located in Haley Heritage Square is a 13-foot high bronze statue of
author and Pulitzer Prize winner Alex Haley who chose to spend the
last several years of his life in Knoxville. Renowned artists
Beauford Delaney and Joseph Delaney hailed from Knoxville.
Musicians Roy Acuff, Chet Atkins, the Everly Brothers, and RB
Morris called Knoxville home during their careers. Women’s
suffragist Lizzie Crozier French was active in the ratification of
amendment and was born and raised in
The lasting influence of these artists and activists leaves the
Knoxville area as a welcoming area to live and work. More about the
area and support groups can be found at Visit Knoxville https://www.visitknoxville.com
, the Beck Cultural Exchange Center https://www.beckcenter.net
, the Knoxville Urban League https://thekaul.org
City https://knoxvilletn.gov , Knox County https://knoxcounty.org
, Knox Pride https://knoxpride.com/equality
, Centro Hispano de East TN https://www.centrohispanotn.org
, and Knoxville chamber https://www.knoxvillechamber.com
The overall purpose of this job is to
provide executive support for the Vice President of Student
Affairs, and the Student Affairs staff, as we work together to meet
students’ needs. The Student Affairs Division includes Enrollment
Services (Admissions, Records, Communication Center, Entrance
Testing, Recruitment, Financial Aid), Student Services (Advising,
Counseling, Disability Services, Career Services, Veterans
Services, TRIO), New Student Orientation,, site campus
administration, Student Conduct, Student Life, leave reporting,
event planning and room reservations, and the organization,
planning and execution of the college’s graduation ceremonies
40% Perform and execute administrative duties for Student Affairs.
These duties include: processing payroll, including leave forms and
leave reports; processing electronic purchase requisitions;
scheduling meetings and events; taking minutes from meetings;
tracking and refilling inventory; scanning and filing documents;
responding to inquiries on the phone, via email and in person;
schedule room reservations for departmental
meetings/trainings/interviews, etc., process petty cash
reimbursements, process travel requests, book flights and process
travel claims; coordinate yearly revisions to the online college
catalog, preparing reports and documents using Microsoft Office
products; running reports in Argos; order business cards and name
tabs for Student Affairs employees; order PSCC apparel for student
ambassadors, process catering requests, maintain employee contact
information for division. Schedule student meetings with the Dean
of Students, background checks for the federal government.
40% Complex planning and coordination to carry out special
projects/events such as Graduation Ceremonies, staff retreats and
other events. This planning and coordination includes, but is not
limited to the following functions: researching potential venues
and contacting venue managers to reserve facilities; processing
electronic work orders for set-up; developing the event program;
reserving caterers for the events; processing contract payments for
venue and caterers; communicating with vendors, such as
photographers, regarding event needs; organizing and training
volunteers; update the website each semester (graduation pages)
communicating via email, telephone and in person with students,
family members, and faculty and staff regarding event
10% Communicate with students, parents, faculty and staff, and the
public via telephone and email regarding college and departmental
policies and procedures.
10% Facilitate large departmental mailings. Work with Marketing and
Communications, and outside vendors to create and distribute
Note: The College reserves the right to change or reassign job
duties, or combine positions at any time.
· An Associate’s degree from an accredited institution is required.
Administrative assistant experience with increasing levels of
responsibility is preferred. B.S./B.A. preferred. Certified
Administrative Professional certification (CAP) is a plus as is
Microsoft certification in Office or specific applications such as
Excel. On the job training will be required for college specific
software and processes.
· Three or more years of related professional experience.
Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% credit of full-time
· This position requires a high degree of confidentiality regarding
matters of sensitivity.
· Serves as the “gate keeper” to the Vice President – using
diplomacy, firmness while staying accommodating and
· Must be able to adapt to and master new technologies.
· Mail merge – letters/envelopes/labels
· Must be able to accurately type 40 wpm.
· Must be able to use the following Microsoft Office programs:
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· Must be able to use Self-Service and Internet Native Banner
· Must be able to operate and instruct others on how to use a fax
· Must be able to operate and instruct others on how to use a
high-functioning photo copier/scanner.
· Must be able to show attention to detail
· Must be able to use R25LIVE room reservations/scheduling
· Must be able to track a budget using Microsoft Excel.
· Must be able to use a calculator.
· Must be able to write grammatically correct communiqués such as
email messages, meeting minutes, and letters.
· Must be able to operate a multi-line telephone.
· Must be able to conduct internet research.
· Must be able to alphabetize.
· Must be able to maintain electronic and paper files.
· Must be able to independently prioritize work.
· Must be able to maintain multiple calendars and schedules.
· Must be able to complete work with multiple distractions and
· Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with
students, faculty, staff, and members of the community.
· Must be able to diffuse situations with angry constituents.
· Must be able to take accurate messages.
· Must be knowledgeable about FERPA (Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act) regulations.
· Must be knowledgeable about college Admissions and Records
· Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality about student and
Key Result Areas:
· Timely processing of purchase requisitions.
· Timely processing of meeting minutes.
· Well-organized graduation ceremonies.
· Timely processing of travel requests and reconciliation
· Process leave and meet payroll deadlines
· Timely processing of departmental online college catalog
· Timely processing of room reservations
Nature of Contacts:
· Student Affairs Assistant Vice Presidents/Dean of Students –
scheduling meetings and room locations, scheduling student
appointments, ordering apparel for student ambassadors.
· Student Affairs Directors (Directors of the following areas:
Admissions, Records, Financial Aid, Counseling, Student Life and
Recreation, New Student Orientation, Career Services, Veterans
Services TRiO Student Support Services, Disability Services)
· Campus Deans – Giving and getting vital information regarding
needs of the Vice President.
· Purchasing Office – Working out discrepancies in regards to
· Payroll Office – Clarifying leave discrepancies for approximately
35 staff members.
· Marketing and Communications Department – Working closely in
regards to preparation and timeline of our commencement programs
and other mail outs.
· Facilities Department – Working closely to assure packing and
delivery of items needed for commencement and various
· Safety and Security Department – Scheduling police coverage for
our commencement ceremonies at UT’s Thompson-Boling Arena twice per
· Executive Assistant and Executive Secretary to the
· Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Business and
· Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Information
· Executive Assistant to the Vice President of College
· Chair of Sustainable Campus Committee
· Manager of the Thompson-Boling Arena – Collaboration between us
to secure dates and times for our commencement ceremonies. Sending
work orders with set-up instructions.
· Manager of the Knoxville Civic Coliseum
· Food Service Director @ PSCC
· Food vendors – Scheduling catering for all volunteers at
· Bookstore Manager – coordinating in regards to cap and gown
orders for our graduates.
· Grad Images Photography – Working closely to assure that they
deliver our reader cards and provide pictures for our grads at
· Direct Mail Service – Schedule mailings to let students know they
may be closer to graduating than they thought. Invite them to see
· FBI Agents – Verify background check for current and previous
students that are applying to work in Federal Government
· Parents of students – Answering questions as they arise regarding
graduation and various other events.
This position requires a reasonable level of fitness. On occasion,
some lifting, walking and standing for extended periods of time are
$34,000 - $41,620/per year. Pay will be determined
based on related work experience above required. To be considered
in determining pay, all related work experience must be listed on
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for a
position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line
application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of
experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your
application. Work experience that is not
listed on the
application will not be considered towards compensation. Please
note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the
application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of
full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach
documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin
Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title
IX/Section 504/ADA employer
If you have any problems or questions please contact Human
Resources at Pellissippi State Community College’s Human Resource
Office at 865-694-6607 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
A summary of our benefits can be found at http://www.pstcc.edu/hr/benefits
If you are interested in this position, click on the link to the
left to apply.