- TITLE: Adjunct Instructor of Biology
DEPARTMENT: School of Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and
REPORTS TO: Chair of STEM
EFFECTIVE DATE: TBD
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time, as needed
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The School of Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
(STEM) at Kentucky State University (KSU) invites applications for
an Adjunct (non-tenure-track) position in Biology at an Instructor
or Assistant Professor level, effective August 10, 2020. At a
minimum, a Masters in Biology or Biologically related field is
required. Candidates who are all but Ph.D. degree (ABD) will also
be considered. Candidates with experience in teaching one or more
of the following undergraduate course(s): Life Sciences, Ecology,
Microbiology, or Human Anatomy and Physiology. Experience working
with students with diverse learning styles and backgrounds is
desirable. Teaching load will consist of one to two undergraduate
Biology major or general education natural sciences service
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Candidates will prepare course materials, deliver instructions, and
engage a range of diverse undergraduate students in learning
foundational knowledge, and skills essential for biology and
biological related curriculums.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Our School of STEM takes a Learning-Centered approach to course
- Responsible for assisting, guiding, coaching, and facilitating
undergraduate students with constructing knowledge through
gathering, synthesizing information, and integrating it with the
general skills of inquiry, communication, critical thinking, and
problem-solving. Candidates will develop a class culture that is
cooperative, collaborative, and actively supportive students
involved with the course materials, instructions, and keeping up
with formative and summative evaluations.
- Responsible for delivering course content in a student
receptive manner, the knowledge, skills, and experiences each
student needs to successfully achieve course learning outcomes as
outlined in the course syllabus. Create, post, and articulate
course learning outcomes or objectives to ensure student
understanding of course learning objectives and expectations.
- Responsible for creating and posting a course syllabus, and a
class schedule for each class being taught during each semester.
Create course curriculum, upload or provide course handouts,
lectures, labs, presentations, and other course materials required
to deliver course information understandably and interestingly to
ensure students are engaged with course materials to achieve course
- Responsible for creating and posting course rubrics to assess
each student’s performance related to the course’s learning
objective and to identify areas for student improvement.
- Responsible for assisting students in mastering course material
by being available through “office hours” and at other times to
answer questions and assist students better to understand the
material in one-on-one or small group sessions.
- Responsible for meeting all class periods or communicate weekly
(virtual) and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours
and meetings at the designated time.
- Responsible for assigning grades and maintaining course/student
records following FERPA regulations and submit grades and records
by established deadlines.
- Perform other appropriate and reasonably required duties as
assigned by your supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Education Required: At least a Masters’ of Science in Biology
or Biological related field or hold a degree in biology or
biologically related field of instruction at least one level above
the courses being taught.
- Philosophical alignment with the mission, vision, and core
values of Kentucky State University.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively
with a wide range of constituencies in the university setting.
- Strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate student
- Demonstrated ability to create, articulate, and assess course
- Demonstrated effectiveness in creating course materials
(syllabus, handouts, presentations, etc.), which enhance student
interest and engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage effective grading
rubrics for consistent and uniform grading results.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibility within
- This position requires working in an office and/or classroom
Applicants must submit a letter of application including graduate
transcript(s), curriculum vitae, and three current letters of
recommendation indicating teaching philosophy and adaptability to
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical
requirements listed in this job description represent the essential
duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform
either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions
listed do not necessarily include all activities that the
individual may perform.