The Association of Governing Boards of Universities &
Colleges (AGB) is seeking an Editor-in-Chief of its flagship
magazine, Trusteeship. As Editor-in-Chief you will be
responsible for the planning, editorial direction, and production
of six issues per year; you will establish the magazine’s editorial
vision in support of AGB’s strategic plan and member needs, and
serve as editor for all content. You will be responsible for
setting and maintaining standards of quality and style for the
magazine, ensuring that Trusteeship is both of value to
AGB members and a beacon of quality for the higher education
The Editor-in-Chief reports to the Associate Vice President of
Content Strategy and Development.
- Lead process of planning and soliciting articles for
Trusteeship and production of six issues annually in
print, digital, and web formats.
- Work collaboratively with supervisor to support overall content
strategy for AGB.
- Collaborate with the editorial director and supervise the
editorial assistant in the editing and proofing of articles,
production of issues, and timely distribution of the magazine.
- Select and contract with designers, printers, writers, editors,
and other vendors.
- Set and monitor the budget for the magazine.
- Organize and direct meetings of the magazine’s consulting
editors’ advisory group.
- Work with the Content team, president, and other departments
across AGB to gather content and with the partnerships director on
sponsored content for the magazine.
- Collaborate and offer input on communications plans related to
Trusteeship and all AGB publications.
- Represent the association to external organizations as
- Five or more years of progressive responsibility in
communications (preferably in an association or on a campus)
- Experience with the creation, editing, and production of a
magazine appropriate for the position of editor-in-chief
- Strong knowledge of higher education required; knowledge of
higher-education governance preferred
- Demonstrably effective experience in managing people, programs,
publication processes, and budgets
- Superb written and oral communications skills
- Experience with publications broadly, including business
- Preference for working in a fast-paced, hands-on
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with
attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Ability to remain flexible and respond to changing priorities
- Availability for limited travel
This position description does not cover a full list of duties
or responsibilities that may be required of the incumbent in this
role. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any
time with or without notice.
AGB offers a competitive salary along with great benefits that
include medical and dental insurance, generous retirement plan and
paid time off as well as telework options.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Applicants should email letter
of interest that describes
experience relative to the
position, salary requirements,
and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls,