The Web Designer is part of the Creative Services team within the
Marketing department, works closely with IT, and is a key member of
Web Team. This person is responsible for designing appealing and
accessible mobile-responsive web solutions using web publishing
tools/applications (including WordPress), current standards-based
web design practices, user-centered design principles, and
Excelsior’s brand guide. They will produce storyboards, scenarios,
interactive mock-ups, graphics, and wireframe prototypes for
complex, interactive web properties. We are looking for someone who
has a broad range of skills and abilities that include strong UX/UI
knowledge (gathering user requirements, conducting user research,
interactive web components, etc.).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gather and evaluate user requirements in collaboration with
marketing managers, developers, and other stakeholders.
- Communicate design ideas using storyboards, process flows, and
- Design and build graphic user interface elements like menus,
tabs, and widgets.
- Regularly review and update design kit and site styles.
- Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how
sites function and appear, and support decisions with clear,
detailed evidence and rationale.
- Create and resize raster and vector graphics.
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key
stakeholders. Conduct layout adjustments based on user
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g., accessibility,
- Collaborate with team members to ensure compliance with
policies and brand standards around identity graphics, fonts,
colors, web content, and online accessibility.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on modern design concepts and
solutions and usability best practices for all web devices.
- Provide thought leadership on usability and user-centered
- Demonstrated experience with Quality Assurance (QA) testing and
implementation changes to ensure proper display across browsers and
- A bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience or combination
of education and relevant experience.
- 3+ years of designing web solutions or products with a strong
- Understanding of how decisions impact user experience in terms
of browser and device compatibility, accessibility,
internationalization, and performance.
- Knowledge of mobile responsive web design, HTML, and CSS.
- Knowledge of design software like Adobe Creative Suite as well
as wireframing tools.
- Familiarity with WordPress and Bootstrap. Experience with PHP a
- Knowledge of web analytics tools and related analyses and
- Understanding of how to incorporate user research and data into
the design process.
- Be collaborative and articulate. Be able to clearly explain
design choices and respond to customer and team feedback.
If you have problems with online submission, please
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous
benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and
excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a
letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional
references. Please submit requested information by clicking the
Apply Now button on this page.
Excelsior College is an equal opportunity employer committed to
ensuring all qualified applicants receive consideration for
employment without regard to any legally protected