PROGRAM ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT - CHILD DEVELOPMENT
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is currently seeking a Program Administrative
Assistant for the Child Development Center. Under the direction of
the Site Director – Child Development Center, the Program
Administrative Assistant – Child Development Center is responsible
for assisting the Site Director in areas of enrollment, attendance,
health, safety and nutrition in accordance with Head Start
regulations, licensing and accreditation standards. The Program
Administrative Assistant will assist in filing and record keeping,
creating documents and reports and act as the first point of
contact for parents and visitors to the Child Development Lab
Schools. Performs related duties as required.
The Child Development Laboratory Schools will lead the City of
Chicago in providing high-quality, comprehensive programs, as well
as demonstration and training sites that serve faculty, students,
and children of college staff and the greater Chicago community.
Our mission is to provide superb Early Learning services for
preschool children and their families. This means a commitment to
implementing practices based on established standards and research
in the fields of Early Care and Education. Finally, this also means
a commitment to providing support to City Colleges of Chicago
students, staff and the broader community. The program’s approach
to Child Development and Education is developmentally and
linguistically appropriate and demonstrates the understanding that
children have individual rates of development, interests,
temperaments, languages, cultural backgrounds, and learning styles.
Families are considered the child’s first teachers and partners in
their children’s education.
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal
arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and
professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the
following core values: accountability, community, diversity,
empowerment, learning, and respect.
The ideal candidate will be available to work Monday through Friday
from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM, and have the flexibility to work other
shift times depending on operational needs.
- Adheres to NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct, demonstrating a
professional attitude and work ethic. Demonstrates respect for
children, families and colleagues at all times.
- Assists in recruiting, enrolling, and maintaining information
about eligible children for the center by gathering and entering
data and maintaining appropriate files, binders and children’s
- Directs parents, visitors and faculty to appropriate staff
persons via face-to-face and telephone contacts.
- Under the supervision of Site Director, works with parents on a
variety of issues surrounding enrollment, fee payment, and family
- Assists in management of accounts payable and receivables;
maintains tracking of volunteer hours for in-kind billing.
- Creates, revises and updates all documents, memos, letters, and
forms as needed for all funding sources as well as edits and
distributes monthly newsletter.
- Completes monthly reports and provides other assistance to Site
Director, as needed.
- Enters information into child development schools management
tracking systems. This information would include, but not be
limited to, attendance, health information, family information, and
- Coordinates student observers, visitors and tracks student
hours as well as maintains appropriate documentation.
- Assists Family Services Coordinators with assigned tasks.
- Maintains inventory and orders office and classroom materials
- Works with the college to ensure center receiving appropriate
- Documents problems with services. Required to attain food
service license and assist with food disbursement. May be asked to
assist with ordering food as needed.
- Maintains office environment for excellent customer
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in Business, Education or a related field,
plus two (2) years of experience in completing clerical tasks and
working with clients/customers required. Bachelor’s Degree
- Work experience in a Head Start center or social service agency
- Must have a “customer service” attitude, as the position
requires a great deal of interaction with parents and staff.
- Position requires strong oral and written communication
- Must be highly organized, motivated and able to meet
- Must be able to work independently with limited
- Must have computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft
Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
When applying, please attach your professional resume and
Excellent health benefits at a low cost;
Investment plans 403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan;
Generous vacation, holidays, personal and sick days; Tuition
Reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits please
visit our benefits page.
For the second time in three years, Malcolm X College was selected
as aPromising Places to Work in Community Colleges award winner!
The award is given by the National Institute for Staff and
Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership organization
committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in teaching and
leadership at community and technical colleges, and Diverse: Issues
in Higher Education, a leading academic publication.
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff
recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working
environments, and meaningful community service and engagement
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of