Please attach/upload a current resume and cover letter in order for
your application to be considered for this position.
The Program Assistant
provides educational, logistical, and
administrative support for Five College Center for World Languages
(FCCWL) courses and assists with outreach and publicity, training,
and event planning. The Center offers courses in less-commonly
taught languages to students from Amherst, Hampshire, Mount
Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts
Amherst. Since 1991, FCCWL has helped more than 5,000 students
study 60 languages from around the world.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefited entry-level position
with Five Colleges, Incorporated.
Importance of Diversity to our Educational Mission
Five Colleges, Incorporated and its five associated institutions
(Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the
University of Massachusetts Amherst) are committed to supporting
and sustaining a diversity of people, backgrounds, experiences,
ideas and points of view for the essential contribution this
diversity makes to educational missions of our organizations. In
support of this commitment Five Colleges requires all of its
employees to work cooperatively and effectively with the diversity
of people at the colleges (students, faculty members, other
employees) and within the organization itself.
Serve as a course organizer for FCCWL language courses:
In consultation with the FCCWL director and other staff, devise
and implement outreach initiatives to recruit students and
conversation partners and promote engagement with FCCWL programs,
through print, online, and social media advertising and
Plan and participate in orientation and training activities for
conversation partners and teaching fellows.
Assist with creation and revision of course syllabi, study
guides, multimedia resources, and other instructional and training
materials. Participate in team conversations about language
learning principles, strategies, and resources.
Other related duties as assigned.
- Respond to phone, email, and walk-in inquiries.
- Advise students about appropriate course opportunities and
- Process and track course registrations.
- Coordinate logistics for language instructors, conversation
partners, and students.
- Schedule and conduct student and conversation partner
- Complete hiring paperwork for new conversation
- Screen weekly reports and self-assessments.
- Maintain gradebooks and homework portfolios.
- Assist students with routine logistical and learning
questions and work with the FCCWL director to resolve
- Schedule and proctor individual final evaluations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Significant language learning experience at the college
level and the ability to articulate good language learning
principles and strategies both verbally and in writing
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google
Suite, and a willingness to learn additional tools as
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent level of intercultural competence and emotional
- Excellent multi-tasking ability, organizational skills, and
attention to detail
- Demonstrated judgment and discretion
- Flexibility to work closely with others in a small
- Ability to engage effectively with multiple Five College
constituents (faculty members, staff members, students, community
- Capacity to meet the physical expectations of the position,
- Ability to comprehend written and verbal
- Ability to evaluate printed materials and material presented
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by telephone,
via videoconference, and via email
- Ability to lift and carry equipment of up to 20 lbs
- Ability to work occasional later hours or weekend hours for
special events. Vacation time for this position will generally not
be granted during the two weeks prior to the start of each
semester, during the first two weeks of the semester, and during
- Ability to pass a post-offer background check
- Ability to comply with Five Colleges, Incorporated’s
COVID-19 vaccination policy, or to qualify for an
- Proficiency in a language offered by FCCWL
- 1+ years working in an education office or high-activity
- College-level coursework in international studies,
linguistics, translation, and/or regional studies; experience
studying abroad and/or living and working in multilingual
- Experience with website content management (HTML knowledge
- Familiarity with the five member campuses and the
- Familiarity with FERPA and other policies related to
handling student records
Please attach BOTH
a current resume and a cover letter for
your application to be considered for this position. You may
combine your resume and cover letter into a single file or attach
multiple files to your application, but be sure you have added all
attachments BEFORE SUBMITTING
your application. You will
NOT be able to attach additional files after you have hit the
For priority consideration, please apply by February 4,
About Five Colleges, Inc.
Five Colleges, Incorporated, sustains and enriches the excellence
of its members -- Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith
colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst -- through
academic and administrative collaboration. The consortium
facilitates intellectual communities and broad curricular and
cocurricular offerings; affording learning, research, performance
and social opportunities that complement the distinctive qualities
of each institution.
Five Colleges, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender,
age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status in
the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the
operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by
all applicable laws and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans
and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.