Theatre Technical Director
The Technical Director of Theatre will provide technical leadership
for a dynamic Christian based program, that produces a season of
four plays and musicals in the Wallace Theatre, a 261-seat modified
proscenium stage, and a two play Shakespeare festival on an
Elizabethan stage, erected in Smith Courtyard, during the months of
May and June. This position participates in teaching areas of
specialty, such as scenic construction, lighting or sound design
and actively contributes to the governance of the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Theatre Program productions in Wallace Theater and other
- Supervise the training of student workers on the sound,
lighting, and stage equipment in the Wallace Theatre, Elizabethan
Stage and Adams Business Park scene shop.
- Supervise the construction, painting, move-in, and assembly of
scenic and prop elements of Theatre Program productions in
coordination with the Scenic Shop Supervisor.
- Schedule and train student running crews for each
- Purchase raw materials and track expenditures as they apply to
scenery, prop, sound, lighting, and paint costs for each
production, in coordination with the Theatre program office
- Supervise the sound design and mixing of the program’s musical
theatre productions, in consultation with designers and/or contract
- Supervise the positioning, hook-up, and cueing of the stage
lighting for department productions, in consultation with designers
and/or contracted specialists.
- Provide theatrical designs in the areas of scenic, lighting and
sound as needed, in consultation with the faculty designer(s).
- Develop construction and move-in schedules for all Theatre
program productions in coordination with the Scenic Shop
- Maintain all shop, storage, and theatre spaces in an orderly,
clean, safe manner.
- Ensure that equipment is properly used, stored, and
- Complete and submit maintenance requests for necessary
- Research specifications and pricing for the purchase of new
theatrical and shop equipment for the program.
- Drive 18’-24’ trucks in the movement of scenery from remote
shops to performance venues.
This position will directly supervise the Theatre Program Scenic
Shop Supervisor and be responsible for assigning work and/or giving
direction to Student Workers, in order to complete work
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill,
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the demands
of the position.
- Knowledge of scenic construction techniques.
- Ability to relate positively and effectively with a diverse
faculty, staff and student body.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Knowledge of applicable safety procedures.
- Equipment maintenance skills.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short-and long-range
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; and five to
six years of demonstrated experience in scenic construction and the
design and operation of theatrical sound and lighting systems.
Special consideration will be given to those possessing an MFA in
theatre design or technical direction.
Remove from Web
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
State and Federal law permit California Baptist University to
discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its
purpose. The University does not discriminate contrary to either
State or Federal law.
Quick Link to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a Christian?
- * Do you attend church regularly?
- If no, please explain (required):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you both familiar with and not in conflict with the
fundamental doctrines and practices of the California Southern
Baptist Convention as stated in the Baptist Faith and Message dated
June 14, 2000? (Please see above link for more information)
- Yes (I am familiar and not in conflict)
- No (I am in conflict or not familiar)
- Cover Letter
- Christian Experience Essay
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2