Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is seeking a Director of
Alumni & Family Programs to join its Institutional Advancement
Department (IA). IA cultivates relationships from a variety of
sources to support the priorities of the college. Institutional
Advancement understands that art and design drive human progress
and produces innovations that shape our world. It is deeply
committed to building an inclusive community enlivened by a
determination to address the most important challenges of our time,
and this includes RISD alumni and families. The RISD Alumni Office
values the people, projects, and passions that make our creative
community so extraordinary.
With a commitment to centering diversity and inclusion in executing
key responsibilities and the ability to build and foster an
environment of respect, the Director of Alumni & Family
Programs is responsible for the oversight of domestic and global
clubs, affinity groups, and family engagement staff and for the
successful implementation of programs that support the A+FR
strategic plan set by the Executive Director. As an experienced
manager of both staff and volunteer leaders, the person in this
position anticipates and responds to growing needs of the global
community including opportunities to connect domestic and global
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive
work environment, and a competitive benefits package.
- Hire, professionally develop, lead and supervise the Alumni +
Family Relations team responsible for the domestic and global
clubs, affinity groups and family programs and their corresponding
- Oversee team members and manage their day-to-day
- Oversee the team deliverables, communications approvals, and
program outcomes that support the A+FR strategic plan and
- Ensure that program delivery and outcomes are consistent with
RISD’s and Institutional Advancement’s diversity, equity, and
- Oversee the management and development of global Alumni Clubs
and Family engagement.
- Responsible for the management, growth, and development of
global clubs and global family programs.
- Implement a comprehensive annual data-driven strategic plan for
global alumni and family programs.
- Support the evaluation of alumni and family programs, through
program engagement, and adjusting approaches on data-based decision
- Oversee the planning, coordination, and execution of all
volunteer training, including but not limited to the Volunteer
Leadership Summit, online training and volunteer onboarding
- As back-up for the Executive Director, act as liaison to Alumni
and Family Association council committees as necessary; and
oversees the coordination between the AALC and FALC
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a broad
spectrum of divisional and institutional colleagues at all levels,
with distinguished alumni and other external constituents, within
an environment that values diversity.
- Ability to incorporate diversity and inclusion into personnel
work, staff training, and departmental policies and
- Must have knowledge of, or experience with digital, and diverse
mediums of communication.
- Strong time management skills. Demonstrated ability to
organize, prioritize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
with close attention to detail and under deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated database entry and reporting experience (Raiser’s
Edge preferred) and strong computer skills in programs such as
Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Ability to write persuasively and strong interpersonal
- Strong work ethic and engaging nature.
- Ability to comfortably and effectively speak in public and make
presentations in meetings.
- Ability to monitor and track budgets and expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of seven years of related experience, including
demonstrated progressive leadership roles required.
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family:
Development - Fundraising