Participates as a member of the health care team in providing
primary care services to college students and NAU staff in an
ambulatory setting. Although the Registered Nurse (RN) will work in
close collaboration with other health professionals to provide
safe, high quality patient care, the role also requires autonomous,
independent decision-making; strong organization and prioritization
skills, and the ability to utilize critical thinking to solve
problems. Provides consultation and guidance to Medical Assistants
(MAs) and student workers. This position reports to the Physical
Direct and Indirect Patient Care - 25%
- Assists physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician
assistants in meeting patients’ health care needs by assisting with
exams, minor surgical procedures, medication administration,
fitting orthopedic appliances, performing EKGs, and ordering lab
- Makes nursing assessments and anticipates potential problems.
Appropriately documents all nursing assessments and care.
- Provides appropriate education to patients in the prevention
and management of illness, as well as health promotion. Makes
referral to outside resources as needed.
- Cares for observation bed patients, documenting vital signs as
needed, medications and other treatments, and condition of patient
- Performs independent nursing clinic visits such as blood
pressure screening and monitoring, administration of immunizations
and tuberculin testing, “pre-physicals”, HIV testing, and
Depo-Provera injections per CHS protocols and under the direction
of the Medical Director.
- Provides health care advice by phone to NAU students or other
eligible patients as appropriate, referring calls outside the
nurse’s scope to another health care provider (NP, PA, or MD). May
report normal lab/x-ray results to patient upon request.
Working Autonomously in Nurse Clinic - 20%
- Administers allergy desensitization injections under the
protocols of Campus Health Services (CHS) and patient’s allergy
Triage and Assessment - 20%
- Triages patients presenting for care either in person or by
phone; assesses urgency of medical or mental health care needs and
determines appropriate actions steps to meet patient needs.
Managing Clinic Operations - 20%
- Promotes optimal clinic flow and coordination/continuity of
care by monitoring patient caseload and redistributing as needed,
communicating with other clinic staff as necessary.
Provider Staff Support - 10%
- Prepares patients for health care visits by documenting
patient’s chief complaint, assessing vital signs per policy and
providing appropriate supplies and patient drapes for exam.
Other duties as assigned - 5%
Typical Working Conditions
- Mainly works indoors except for traveling to areas of campus
for vaccination clinics and continuing education several times a
- On-site potential exposure to contagious illness and bloodborne
pathogens in daily activities.
- Physical demands include: sitting, standing, bending and
lifting a minimum of 50 lbs on occasion.
- Graduated from an accredited school of Nursing.
- One year of professional nursing experience.
- Currently licensed as a registered nurse in Arizona (BSN or
- Current CPR certification.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Experience in college health or ambulatory care nursing.
- Experience in triaging patients.
- Experience with electronic health record documentation.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button
on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human
Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on
the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Please see nau.jobs for full
job descriptions and details on how to apply online! NAU is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women,
minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are
encouraged to apply.