Career Opportunity Number
Student Services Specialist
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Initial Screen Date:
· Associate degree (A.S., A.A.) or two-year technical
· 1 year experience in administrative support, customer services,
or related area.
· Minimum Education Qualification can be substituted with an
equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to
successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Preference will be given to individuals who possess
* Bachelor’s degree
* Knowledge of postsecondary educational processes, policies and
* Evidence of working with multiple projects or departments.
* Two (2) years’ experience working in a customer service
* Evidence of working with diverse groups of people.
* Evidence of using current technology to process records and
Normally scheduled Monday, Thursday, Friday 8:00am-4:30pm and
Tuesday, Wednesday, 10:30am-7:00pm; however, may be required to
work other shifts to include evenings and/or weekends. Schedule
subject to change based upon department needs.
The annual salary is $34,246. A competitive benefit package is
Special Instructions to Applicants
* Cover letter, resume, and transcripts are required and must be
attached to the online application in order to receive any
* Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.
Incumbents provide comprehensive information and services to
students and prospective students in single areas or across a
number of disciplines that may include admissions, financial aid,
academic advising, records and transcripts, career services,
international students, and disability services.
* EOE /M/F/Vet/Disabled
Typical Essential Duties
· Coordinates academic support program operations; work may involve
managing staff and activity scheduling, providing logistical and
functional support, and collecting necessary documentation.
· Assists students with enrollment, registration, financial aid
application, academic advising, testing, accommodations, and/or
other student support services; facilitates the assigned program
operations by interviewing current and prospective students to
determine program/service eligibility, providing necessary
information, troubleshooting issues, proctoring tests, assisting
students with completing paperwork, and performing related
· Responds to inquiries from students, staff, instructors, and the
public via phone, email, or in person; resolves complaints and
issues; directs applicable issues or requests to appropriate
personnel/departments; provides course information, referrals, and
resources; and assists students with using College
· Prepares, processes, and/or verifies records, reports,
worksheets, forms, loan packets, transcripts, promotional
materials, presentations, and other documents; maintains, scans,
files, and records student and other confidential data; work may
involve utilizing software systems to update and maintain databases
and records; running reports and queries; researching and compiling
general and financial information; and ensuring compliance with
Federal, State, and other applicable laws, policies, and
· Performs administrative duties to include ordering supplies,
processing correspondence, completing purchase requests, creating
meeting agendas, reserving rooms, scheduling appointments, sending
out reminders, entering and approving facility requests, and
setting up rooms.
· Performs accounting duties to include managing and reconciling
student and other third party accounts; preparing journal entries;
making deposits; creating check requests; setting up payment plans;
managing cash drawers; reviewing and adding or removing holds on
student accounts; performing debt recovery and collection;
preparing deposits; processing student fees; calculating,
communicating, and returning financial aid funds; and adjusting
awards based on Federal guidelines.
· Coordinates with students, instructors, academic advisors, the
public, and other internal and external staff, departments, and
agencies to communicate information regarding College services and
requirements, assist with special event operations, and assist with
· Provides support to supervisors, counselors, and managers by
prioritizing and assigning work, and training staff in assigned
area of operations when necessary.
• Applicable academic programs, and/or other related
• Customer service principles;
• Applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, regulations,
policies, and procedures;
• Program support principles and practices.
• Providing academic support services in assigned are of
• Providing program support;
• Using a computer and related software applications;
• Compiling and reviewing data and information and making sound
recommendations based on findings;
• Maintaining confidentiality;
• Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, regulations,
policies, and procedures;
• Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to
interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and
others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
No staffing table positions.
Positions in this class typically require: feeling, grasping,
hearing, fingering, reaching, repetitive motion, standing, talking,
visual acuity, and walking. The work is sedentary work which
requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or
negligible amount of force frequently or constantly.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * What is the highest level of education you have as conferred
through an official transcript?
- Have not completed High School/GED
- High School/GED
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Doctorate degree
- * How much administrative support, customer service, or related
area do you have, as supported by the employment history listed on
- less than one year
- between 1 and 2 years
- between 2 and 3 years
- between 3 and 4 years
- between 4 and 5 years
- five or more years
- * How did you learn about this position?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Dos Mundos
- Employee referral
- Inside Higher Ed
- Kansas City Call
- Kansas City Globe
- Kansas City Hispanic News
- MCC Website
- Other Source
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 01
- Transcript 02
- Transcript 03
- Transcript 04
- Transcript 05
- Other Document 01
- Other Document 02