Reporting to the Assistant Director of Informal Recreation, the
Aquatics Program Manager is responsible for creating a safe,
participant-centered environment reflecting current trends and
industry standards for an aquatic environment at the Wall Aquatic
Center. Primary functions and responsibilities for this position
include programming, student events and activities, coached
programs and management of the Learn to Swim program.
Program Management - 30%
- Responsible for all aspects of the Learn to Swim program
(group, private/semi-private and adult swim lessons), including:
scheduling trained staff, staff training, maintaining/creating new
documentation/support materials as needed, and evaluating
- Assist in the recruitment, supervision and training of
qualified lifeguards, WSI’s, and coaches.
- Foster a safe working and learning environment for student
staff through comprehensive training, coaching techniques,
constructive communication and timely evaluation (emphases:
accountability, customer satisfaction and safety) while serving
internal and external guests.
- Assist and serve as back up for operational and program
management at WAC.
Program Supervision - 30%
- Oversee recreational swim times, programming and special events
(including associated equipment setup and takedown).
- Assist with facility scheduling, including working with the
event reservations team for pool rentals.
- Collaborate with departmental team to initiate, execute and
evaluate signature events and creative programming, including:
implementation, execution, supervision and evaluation of programs
and events hosted in the aquatic facility.
Risk Management - 20%
- Assist in development and maintenance of a risk management plan
at the Aquatic Center.
- Provide on-site coordination and evaluation of activities.
- Advise, address and resolve issues, problems, conflicts and
concerns as assigned, and interact with pool operators (CPO’s) to
ensure that accurate information is provided, and positive
experiences are attained.
- Support national recreation trends identified by department,
with the intent of remaining a leader among peer institutions.
Marketing and Promotion - 15%
- Assist in marketing and promotion of aquatic activities within
Campus Recreation, including social media networks and website page
- Provide accurate and timely communications to the Recreation
Center Manager and the Assistant Director of Informal
Other - 5%
- Serve as a contributing member of staff.
- Attend and participate in regular staff meetings, serve on
committees and perform other duties as assigned.
- Utilize strategic planning, conceptualization, critical
thinking, independent judgment, problem solving, creativity,
initiative, vision and innovation to ensure quality in all areas of
- Participate as a representative of Campus Recreation at
university programs and events such as Family Weekend, Homecoming,
Orientation, Expos and New Employee Orientations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Park & Recreation
Management, Health Education/Promotion or field related to Aquatic
- Two years of administrative/coordinative program
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Certification in CPO and/or AFO.
- Additional work experience beyond the minimum qualifications in
the field of Aquatics.
- Experience supervising, training and evaluating staff.
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard, WSI, CPR for the
professional Rescuer and LGI certification.
- American Red Cross LGIT, WSIT, CPR-Instructor.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button
on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human
Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on
the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011
Please see nau.jobs for full
job descriptions and details on how to apply online! NAU is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women,
minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are
encouraged to apply.