Framingham, MA Category:
Tue Jan 18 2022 Job Description:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Financial Systems Analyst, with official title of Staff
Associate, serves as the primary liaison between Fiscal Affairs
(i.e. the Business Office, including Accounting, Financial
Reporting, Budget, and Procurement, and the Student Accounts
Office) and Information Technology Services (ITS) with
responsibility for ensuring that all of the information systems
used by personnel in these areas are optimized for: operational
efficiency, informed decision making, and service management. The
position represents Fiscal Affairs as an empowered and active
participant in the University's cross-functional Administrative and
Student Management Information Team (ASMIT). The position performs
daily administrative tasks related to technical and functional
support for Fiscal's information technology development, reporting,
training, and troubleshooting needs. The position performs and
manages the recording, reconciliation, and review of various
accounting related transactions affecting bank and general ledger
reconciliations, primarily related to payroll transactions and
funding. It confirms revenue, expenses, fund balances, transfers,
and receivables balances in the Commonwealth's Massachusetts
Management Accounting Reporting System (MMARS) and other State
Administrative systems through the ongoing reconciliation / review
of Banner vs. MMARS transactions & fund balances.
Accountable for ensuring that equal opportunity, affirmative
action, and diversity are integrally tied to all actions and
decisions in areas of responsibility.
This position provides guidance, training & support
regarding its areas of responsibility to various Fiscal Affairs
staff. It also provides this group with support and input regarding
project management, process development, and application
implementation including analysis, specifications, documentation,
validation testing, and training.
This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President,
Finance & Business Services (AVP). Oversight and support are
also provided by the other Fiscal Affairs Directors / managers
regarding payroll and / or other direct accounting responsibilities
as well as for specific projects.
The AVP and the Fiscal Affairs Management meet regularly to
evaluate progress, discuss problems and review the quality of work
for completeness & accuracy & to plan future
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Financial Systems Analysis, Development and Implementation
- Act as the primary liaison between Fiscal Affairs and ITS.
Provides leadership for technology-related project implementations
(particularly those pertaining to the Banner ERP system). Assists
with the research, design, implementation and improvement of
administrative systems & related procedures, daily operations,
- Manages the process of identifying, planning, designing,
scheduling, testing, deploying, and controlling software releases
for information systems used by Fiscal Affairs to ensure that
application updates and upgrades are planned for and coordinated
with ASMIT while maintaining the integrity of the existing
production environment. Systems and reporting tools include but are
not limited to:Banner, TouchNet, StarRez, Evisions (including
IntelliCheck, Argos and FormFusion), Slate, etc.
- Assist with user training and product implementation and
upgrades. Assists in the development, implementation, and oversight
of training materials / programs for both Fiscal Affairs and
related university staff regarding same.
- Work with end users to elicit, analyze, communicate and
validate requirements for business process changes, reporting needs
and information systems. Consult with business users to define and
create specifications for fiscal system enhancements; translate
data and reporting needs into accurate development
- Consults with ITS and submits requests and project proposals on
behalf of the Fiscal Affairs units, and engages in all aspects of
the planning and coordination associated with defining an agreed
upon scope and timing of work, determining the relative priority of
the work, securing the necessary personnel and other resources
within fiscal affairs to engage in the work, the completion of
specific tasks, and the rollout or implementation following
validation testing, communications, training, etc.
- Implements continuous improvements within business processes,
financial analytics, and the provision of services through systems
analysis, upgrades, configuration, testing, documentation, and
training based on the priorities of the Business Office and Student
Accounts through planning and coordination with ASMIT, and with the
input and involvement of ITS.
- Acts as the first level of functional ("how to") support to
Fiscal Affairs users in order to initially troubleshoot and resolve
problems, related to user knowledge of how to use the software,
reporting tools or online services. Assists staff with how to use
available software and reporting tools in order to minimize
administrative overhead associated with data entry, ensuring data
integrity, and producing reports, dashboard indicators or other
representations of information for analysis and decision
- Responsible for some limited Banner administration functions,
particularly those pertaining to Finance and Student Accounts,
including troubleshooting issues with finance job postings and
implementing procedural best practices.
- Automate processes by writing and maintaining SQL scripts for
the export / import of data to / from Banner. Reviews controls over
the data as a part of any implementation of a new critical script
and / or process that will impact the data system. Coordinates
review and implementation with IT.
- Provide daily technical and functional support to the Fiscal
Affairs staff, including general technical support and
troubleshooting for department hardware and software problems and
general user issues. Coordinate with IT for problem resolution as
- Develops and modifies various financial reports using Banner,
Evisions' Argos, and other financial information systems including
ad-hoc reports, which support complex reconciliation needs and
access to information that is critical for planning,
decision-making, and internal controls.
- Assists Fiscal Affairs management with the evaluation,
development, and modification of Accounting/ Finance, Procurement
or Student Accounts User Access Roles. Coordinates with ITS on
implementation of updates and user activity reporting. Assists the
AVP with periodic security reviews of same.
- Create and maintain user, technical, and operational
documentation that describes workflow, program source, logic,
changes and corrections.
Financial Analysis and Reporting 40%
- Liaison with the Payroll (P/R) & Budget regarding biweekly
payroll transactions & records, Payroll Adjustments
(LARQ/PRADJ), payroll tax & fringe transactions &
allocations; Recommends enhancements, investigates and resolves
problems, and implements required changes.
- Responsible for the entry and reconciliation of appropriation /
fund level payroll expenses in Banner vs. MMARS. Prepares numerous
GL reconciliations ensuring all related transactions are accurately
reflected in Banner, MMARS, bank accounts, etc. Provides guidance
& problem resolution.
- Reviews biweekly Payroll funding requests vs. availability
& recommends funding transfers.
- Works collaboratively with the ITS & P/R staff to review
& resolve all variances identified through either the P/R
posting process / systems, nightly jobs, &/or other analyses /
reconciliations (e.g. SCPay).
- Assists with accounting guidance & problem resolution
related to various accounting or student account functions; ensures
all related transactions are accurately reflected in Banner, MMARS,
bank accounts, etc.
- Prepare and / or review/approve additional accounting and
financial reporting documentation as needed.
- Assist in the writing, revision, improvement, implementation
and review of internal controls, accounting procedures, &
methodologies utilized to ensure the financial integrity of the
general ledger accounts.
- Provide back up coverage for staff short-term vacancies /
- Other special projects or duties as assigned including, but not
limited to, providing direct support and / or participation in
activities related to strategic university enrollment
100% (overlays all other functions &
- Accountable for ensuring that affirmative action, equal
opportunity, diversity and inclusion are integrally tied to all
actions and decisions in areas of responsibility.
Special Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Occasional nights and / or weekend work may be required during peak
periods; vacation limits may also apply during these periods.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information
Systems (MIS), or related field*
- Minimum of three years of professional experience, preferable
with progressively increasing responsibility in Information Systems
financial reporting and / or Accounting.
- Demonstrated competence to effectively utilize ERP financial
management systems (such as Banner)
- Extensive / advanced skill and experience with both database
software (such as Microsoft Access) and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to write and interpret Structured Query Language
(SQL).Demonstrated experience with running SQL queries.Experience
with SQL programming and development tools, such as SQL Developer,
SQL plus, etc.
- Demonstrated passion for problem solving; strong project
management skills and the proven ability to build trust and work
well with all levels of management and technical staff.
- Experience with financial system upgrades, database patches,
and form development.
- Ability to think creatively and analyze data from new
- Ability to effectively resolve sensitive fiscal issues while
maintaining confidentiality and data security at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under tight deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate, interact and build
relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both oral
*The university may consider the proration of the applicant's
education toward such a degree on the basis of the proportion of
the requirements actually completed if all other minimum
qualifications are met.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish or English
and Portuguese are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minor degree or certification in Accounting.
- Knowledge of University structures, principles, practices and
- ERP experience in a University setting.
- Experience in Higher Education Finance and Accounts Receivable
Systems (preferably Ellucian Banner Higher Ed software), payment
gateway systems (preferably TouchNet), Evisions' Argos Report
Writer (preferred) or a similar tool reporting knowledge.
- Experience with the Commonwealth of MA MMARS (MA Management
Accounting and Reporting System), the MA state payroll systems, or
the Commonwealth Information Warehouse (CIW).
This is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position in the
Association of Professional Administrators (APA) bargaining unit
with a title of Staff Associate. The salary range is $69,000 -
It is the policy of Framingham State University that all
employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they begin
employment. Proof of the COVID-19 vaccine is required of all
individuals hired by FSU, to be verified after a verbal offer of
employment has been accepted, and before employment begins.
Prospective employees may submit a request for a medical or
religious exemption to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement to
Human Resources. Furthermore, FSU employees must wear a mask inside
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual
offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final
employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans,
persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity
and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.