The Vice President for Business and Finance is responsible to
the President of the University for the effective direction and
coordination of all business operations, finance, purchasing,
inventory, personnel, and auxiliary enterprises. The Vice
President is responsible for carrying out the above functions in an
efficient and effective manner in keeping with the mission, goals
and objective of the University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- As the University's Chief Fiscal Officer, serves as a member of
the Executive Offices for Institution Planning (EOP)
Committee. Also, serves in an advisory capacity to the
President in the formation, execution, evaluation, and
dissemination of the institution's educational program.
- Develops and assures compliance with fiscal policies and
procedures that are consistent with the total objectives of the
University and mandates by the Board of Trustees and the State of
- Has overall responsibility for the long-range financial
projections and plans for the university and manages the banking
and investments of the university funds within state and university
guidelines. Assumes principal responsibility for the fiscal
integrity and economy of the University. Establishes and
implements an effective operating budget preparation and control
system. Develops coordinates and recommends to the President
guidelines and a timetable for the implementation of a unified
annual university budget; presents the approved unified annual
budget to the appropriate internal and external units and
agencies. Provides timely and accurate financial reports to
the President, Board of Trustees, and Budget managers.
- In coordination with other vice presidents, develops and
recommends business policies and procedures for submission to the
president for approval.
- Develops purchasing procedures for the University; receives and
disburses all monies due and payable to the University, including
but not limited to approval of appropriate invoices, billings, and
requests for funds.
- Administers the university capital improvement program, to
include new construction, renovations and repairs.
- Is responsible for all incoming-producing services; review
financial applications for outside funds, including federal and
foundation proposals. Prepare and coordinates outside audits of
- Establishes and maintains an effective university accounting
system that meets all state and federal requirements.
- Administers and develops, maintains, and implements an
inventory control system that monitors the repair and preventive
maintenance for all university real property, buildings, grounds,
supplies, and capital equipment.
- Coordinates the professional development, and selection process
of all personnel assigned to Business and Finance.
- Negotiate banking contracts; along with preparing various
reports including financial SACSCOC cost analysis, and IPEDS.
- Serve as treasurer of AAMU and AAMU-RISE Foundations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements (including certifications,
- Master's degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Business
Administration, Planning and Finance or a related discipline. Ph.D.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in management and
finance, along with facilities and project management, preferably
at an institution of advanced education.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive experience and comprehensive knowledge in the areas
of fiscal and facility management, reporting requirements, data
processing, budgetary controls, and funding accountability.