At Unity, sustainability isn't a buzzword. It's the foundation of
our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years.
We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our
properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered
to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and
entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to
Arizona to Brazil.
Engage with Unity College and you'll start to ask tough questions,
challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking
the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the
future you want, we can make it happen.
The Chief Outcomes Officer leads efforts to open new
markets, attract new learners, increase national awareness, place
graduates, and raise funds for Unity College. The scope of
authority for this position includes Integrated Enrollment and
Student Financial Services, Development, Career Services, and
Marketing as well as providing guidance and oversight from an
institutional level to Recruitment.
The Chief Outcomes Officer works with the President and senior
leadership to continue to transform Unity College from an
institution with a strong regional presence to a leading national
institution of higher education. This individual will provide the
institution with grounded creativity through proven strategy,
data-based decision-making, and industry-disrupting invention.
Within the framework of functional leadership, the Chief Outcomes
Officer supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and
works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission
and Strategic Plan. The Chief Outcomes Officer reports to the
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Leads integrated enrollment and student financial services,
fundraising, career services, and marketing efforts at Unity
College and ensures achievement of institutionally established
key-performance-indicators and revenue goals for each.
- Provides support for SEBU and Enterprise Leadership to
integrate curricular, co-curricular, and residential components
into a transformative and developmentally-differentiated living and
learning experience through the educational framework of
- Works with President to develop and execute an integrated
career placement, fundraising and philanthropy, brand positioning,
marketing and communication plan that advances the institution's
strategic plan and mission, ensures attainment of fundraising
goals, differentiates Unity College, and increases its national
- Works with the President to steward the Unity College mission
and establish enterprise-wide vision and strategic direction.
- Identifies new educational and business opportunities and
assigns to Sustainable Educational Business Units (SEBUs) for
development (or develop new SEBUs).
- Establishes appropriate measures of success for individual
- Provides centralized planning and policies for enterprise-wide
- Manages internal/external controls over decentralized
- Coordinates with President and senior leaders to identify
emerging college needs and priorities which may require targeted,
private fundraising efforts.
- Oversees institutional relationships with potential major
donors, including regular communications and ensures stewardship in
recognition of donor philanthropy.
- Maintains own prospect portfolio and meets annual goals as set
- In the absence of any the Directors, the Chief Outcomes Officer
must be able to perform the functions while replacement is being
- Establishes strategy, communication, and events planning
related to institutional and/or SEBU branding.
- Manages and analyzes research for enrollment trends and
provides timely and accurate reports for institutional decision
- Provides informed, effective, and collaborative leadership
within a model of functional leadership.
- Provides supervision and management oversight for assigned
areas in marketing, communications, career placement, student
financial services and integrated enrollment services.
- Directly supervises unit managers in assigned areas. Carries
out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
institution's policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Establishes and maintains scalable heuristics and operational
plans for each supervisory area including goals, measurable
outcomes, assessment plans, budget, timeline, and benchmarks for
- Advocates for institutional resources to create and maintain
high quality programs and initiatives and prepares and manages the
budget for areas of oversight.
- Manages financial, material, and personnel resources in
accordance with enterprise policies and in alignment with the
- Successfully implements an automation and quality assurance
plan for institutional data maintained by the various Advancement
- Continually assesses and strengthens all phases of each unit to
improve processes, efficiencies, and effectiveness.
- Facilitates and endorses direct access between the President
and their direct reports to include responding to specific requests
from the President.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- Master's Degree in a related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in
supervising one or more of the key areas of marketing, enrollment,
career placement, or fundraising; must have experience in managing
- Successful experience preparing and executing area-related
- Ideally will have both academic and corporate experience.
- Experience setting and meeting area-related targets.
- Project and budget management experience.
- Ability to use data and analytics to inform strategy.
- Record of leadership and service that demonstrates integrity
- Experience in enrollment, marketing, or strategic
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Collaborative yet decisive administrative style that encourages
informed risk and creative thinking.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – powerful
- Strong collaborative, interpersonal, and conflict resolution
- Aptitude for change management and decision making.
- Capacity to match communication style and medium to audience,
whether face-to-face or virtual.
- Ability to communicate with multiple constituents
- Strong understanding of customer and relationship
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquires or
- Ability to objectively coach others and make recommendations to
effectively resolve complex issues.
- Highest standards of confidentiality and professional
- High energy, personal initiative, and a positive attitude.
- Superior organizational and time-management skills; the ability
to multi-task and set priorities.
- Strong communication and listening skills to ensure effective
flow of information is essential.
- Ability to use Microsoft office suite, computerized database
program and experience with CRM and SIS databases.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
governmental regulations; write reports, business correspondence,
and procedure manuals; and effectively present information.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
interest, commissions, proportions, percentages.
- Ability to problem solve and perform in an ever-evolving
- Ability to obtain a Valid Maine driver's license with a good
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
This position will be located at 49 Farm View Drive, New
Unity College offers a generous benefits package which includes
medical, dental, vision, short term disability, long term
disability, life insurance, PTO, and a company match on our 403b
retirement plan. Waiting periods will apply.
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the “Apply Now”
button and submit a resume and cover letter.
At Unity College, we don't just accept difference — we celebrate
it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our
employees, our students, and our community. Unity College is proud
to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action