Film Equipment Maintenance Technician
Target Hire Date
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
Emerson College seeks a Film Equipment Maintenance Technician to
maintain the equipment supporting the College's vibrant analog film
curriculum. Through direct, hands-on repairs, as well as service
through third parties, the Film Equipment Maintenance Technician is
responsible for the repair and maintenance of Emerson's analog film
equipment (16mm cameras, Steenbeck flatbed editing tables, 35mm and
medium format still cameras, 16mm projectors, etc.). Additionally,
the Film Equipment Maintenance Technician performs and coordinates
the repair of a variety of non-film based media production
The responsibilities of the Film Equipment Maintenance Technician
are to support Emerson College's media production curriculum,
specializing in analog film equipment, through ongoing successful
daily technical maintenance and troubleshooting.
Your Manager: Manager, Broadcast Engineering
Your Direct Reports: None
Student Workers: 2
Key Partners: MTP Technical Operations (Engineering and Equipment
Distribution Center), MTP Post Production, VMA analog film and
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Manage Film Camera Shop. Duties include: maintenance and
repairs of Bolex Reflex cameras, Arri SR cameras, Steenbeck flatbed
editors and their accessories, 35mm and medium format still
cameras, as well as a range of film projectors; ordering and
maintaining a stock of parts and supplies for supported equipment;
and coordinating external maintenance and repairs.
- Oversee all repairs by external vendors for film and photo
- Perform repairs and coordinate external repair for all other
equipment housed within the Equipment Distribution Center (digital
cameras, lenses, tripods, lighting equipment, microphones, audio
- Assist the Assistant Manager, Electronic Maintenance, with
daily technical maintenance and troubleshooting of all Media
Technologies and Production facilities, with a focus on the
Equipment Distribution Center, but also including the Tufte PPC
Television Facility, the Journalism Production Center, The Emerson
Channel, Emerson Channel Sports, and the Paramount Sound Stage on
an as needed basis.
- Duties include frequent moving and lifting of heavy
Your Other Responsibilities:
- Update repair and service tickets for broken and repaired
- Working with VMA faculty, EDC Management and the Director, MTP
Technical Operations, assist in preparation and review of annual
capital purchases related to film and photo equipment.
- Research and recommend external vendors and contacts to acquire
specialty and custom film items as well as perform maintenance and
- Maintain local and cloud-based technical and administrative
- All other duties as assigned.
- 2-5 years of experience operating or repairing analog motion
- 2-5 years of experience maintaining and servicing media
- Proficiency with Google Workspace
- Service excellence orientation. Excellent communication and
- Must be responsible, detail-oriented and able to follow
directions and improvise quick solutions.
- Intermediate level troubleshooting skills and testing
- Excellent organizational skills.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
You'll be preferred if you have:
- Experience with Arri and Bolex repair.
- Knowledge and understanding of film photo
- Proficient with electronics repair equipment such as soldering
irons, DMM, analyzers and power tools.
- Experience installing and integrating equipment into racks,
wiring, labeling, documentation, and testing signal flow as
- Versed in CAD, schematics and signal flow charts.
- Familiarity with professional color standards.
- WebCheckout or similar equipment scheduling and ticketing
- Affiliation with professional groups such as SMPTE, SBE,
- Maintenance shop with lack of windows.
- Use of chemicals common to electronic equipment maintenance and
repair (epoxies, lubricants, solvents, soldering flux,
- Ability to lift and move objects that are 50 lb. or
Grade of Position: A15N
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
Hiring Range: $52,200.17 - $54,700.06
This position will be exclusively represented by the Service
Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 888 for purposes of
wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Film-Equipment-Maintenance-Technician_JR003292
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution
dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a
liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of
the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to
major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers.
The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands.
Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate
students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational
experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from
individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and
perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our
co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College
enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our
campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening
communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development
of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful
citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society.
Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in
its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the
Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to
respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct
Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza,
Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone:
617-824-8999; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson
College commits to providing all current and prospective students
and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for
each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police
Information on Emerson College staff grade range