Reporting to the Sr. Director, this position serves as the Customer
Service Specialist Tier 2 point of contact. The position will
receive inbound escalation from Tier 1 support staff, students,
staff, prospective students and faculty experiencing login,
navigational or processing difficulty with enterprise computer
The incumbent answers incoming calls for Technical Service,
provides prompt and accurate technical assistance troubleshooting
and resolving problems and/or issues.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provide customer login support information to SJSU students,
faculty and staff.
- Monitor data and appropriately troubleshooting customer service
- Collaborate with the Service Desk team to route issues
appropriately for fastest resolution.
- Schedule training rooms as needed and respond to customer
questions regarding services.
- Ensure customers can access data regarding SJSU and solve
- Analyze, resolve, and route helpdesk phone calls and
- Provide general directory assistance, route calls and provide
in-person assistance to customers.
- Determine appropriate category for resolution, log, route and
track trouble tickets using iSupport system.
- Follow up on open and overdue service desk tickets.
- Monitor common problems to determine if additional
documentation is needed.
- Provide Technical Support – Tier 2.
- Receive inbound telephone calls, chat messages, and emails on
- Provide technical Tier 2 troubleshooting, and problem
- Provide user-friendly explanations and follow-up using
telephone, emails, and/or chat, and in person communication.
- Resolve customer problems in a friendly and timely manner in
order to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Open trouble tickets using the trouble ticketing tool and
document action steps and resolutions including follow-up.
- Ensure issues are fully documented within the iSupport (trouble
ticket tool) application that allows for seamless escalation to
other personnel as required.
- Use professional judgment to resolve a problem.
- Serve as the customer advocate and interact with internal teams
to solve issues.
- Escalate customer concerns as necessary to the appropriate
manager, as required.
- Serve as liaison between customers and other personnel.
Communicate problems and trends to the team for internal
- Communicate and train Tier I support in processing and
resolving reported problems.
- Ability to provide Tier 2 technical support
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working
with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate
- Proficiency using standard software packages
- Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and
provide appropriate support
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to troubleshoot basic help desk inquiries
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative
working relationships within a diverse multicultural
- Ability to apply campus information security policy and
standards to develop specific security requirements
- Knowledge of data administration principles and techniques
- Ability to communicate in writing and speaking clearly to a
diverse group of customers
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate and
- Working knowledge of software applications: Word processing,
Excel spreadsheet, Database management
- Knowledge in either of these technologies: network, WiFi,
security, or cloud technologies
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
and learn new systems
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities and maintain
confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications
- Ability to apply security models and frameworks to ensure
appropriate security is maintained
- Technical knowledge and understanding of electronics and
networking (TCP/IP), browser functionality, and troubleshooting of
common networking devices
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems,
educational technology, communications, or related fields, or
similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and
- Experience providing technical support and customer service
- Experience in a University or college environment.
- Experience with electronic and networking (TCP/IP)
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Career
Salary Range: $4,372/month - $10,792/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits
package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more
information on programs available, please see the
Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application
and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period:
January 14, 2022 through January 28, 2022.
This position is
open until filled; however, applications received after screening
has begun will be considered at the discretion of the
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing
campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a
medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates
advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to
comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The
system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a
contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may
be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying
information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly
withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily
complete the background check may affect the continued employment
of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment
and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor
vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks
are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate
Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU
will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of
required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS.
(e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated
reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to
nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship
status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic
information, marital status, medical condition, national origin,
race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation,
transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable
federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students,
faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the
Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state
laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education
programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off
January 14, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard