The Orientation & Student Engagement Coordinator has primary
responsibility for the development, implementation, and assessment
of International Student Orientation, and other programmatic needs,
which primarily serve F1/J1 students, and J1 Scholars. The
Coordinator will lead orientation, and other programmatic needs, to
achieve the strategic plan and goals for the International Student
and Scholar Services Office. The Coordinator will work
collaboratively with ISSS staff, Admissions, Union
administration, Student Housing, Utah Global, Utah Asia
Campus, ASUU, and other university partners in relation to
orientation. This position will also lead social media outreach in
coordination with ISSS outreach and marketing teams. In
addition to program and event planning, this position will have a
strong focus, and time involved, in database processing and
maintaining the US government’s SEVIS database of
international student and scholar records for compliance
University of Utah Job ID# PRN28798B 02074 - Intl Student and
39,000 - 43,000
Monday through Friday 8-5 with occasional weekends and evenings for
- Lead weekly orientation meetings, and assign tasks and
responsibilities as needed.
- Schedule upcoming dates and times for summer, fall, and spring
orientation in coordination with the ISSS Associate
Director of Operations.
- Coordinate all aspects of in-person and virtual
- Recruit, supervise, mentor, and train students who are part of
the ISSS Student Ambassador Program to perform in their
role and responsibilities for orientation.
- Serve as staff advisor, and mentor, for the student group
within ASUU, International Student Council. Including
assisting with filling student officer positions, overseeing
the ISC student scholarship each year, and mentoring and
attending other ISC events each semester.
- Serve on the International Education Week Committee, and
assists ISC in managing the yearly International Night
event that occurs during IEW once a year.
- Manage location, room reservations and vendors for orientation,
and other programmatic needs within ISSS.
- Work with ISSS or OGE webmaster to maintain
orientation pages of ISSS website.
- Create content and send all e-mail communication to new
students through Sunapsis, and manage all functions of the Sunapsis
orientation modules in collaboration with Sunapsis Database
Administrator and orientation team.
- Coordinate all marketing and informational materials used
during orientation, and other programmatic needs
of ISSS office.
- Administer orientation budget each semester, including
purchasing and billing, to ensure that expenses do not exceed
approved budget. This is in coordination
with ISSS Director, Associate Director of Operations, and
- Create and update, as needed, orientation process and procedure
- Collaborate with Sunapsis Database Administrator and
orientation team to create content, process, and implement new
student check-lists and e-forms for virtual and in-person
orientation, as required by federal government
- Coordinate orientation components and tracking with Utah Global
and UAC partners. Including developing and leading an
orientation/welcome for students transitioning from Utah Global
and UAC to ISSS.
- Serve on multiple ISSS office teams; required to
serve on ISSS team related to orientation and social
media and marketing. In coordination with social media and
marketing team, lead and build upon office wide social media
platforms such as current platforms of Instagram, Facebook,
YouTube, and Later and any future additional social media.
- Perform any other programmatic need for international students
and scholars, which may include on and off campus activities, which
may require time spent outside of normal office hours. Includes
both indoor and outdoor activities, and/or cultural
- May serve as a Designated School Official (DSO)
- Cross train as needed in other positions, and other duties as
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted
as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing),
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus one year directly
related experience or equivalency required (2 years related work
experience may be substituted for 1 year of education).
Demonstrated ability to work independently, analyze and make
decisions related to program content. Strong coordination and
organizational skills required to prioritize conflicting deadlines.
Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills are
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the
essential functions of the job as outlined in the position
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication
- Outstanding interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently, and analyze and prioritize
decision making related to programs.
- Committed to teamwork and collaboration
- Strong operation and organizational skills
- Knowledge of F1 and J1 immigration rules
- Knowledge of Sunapsis
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate programs and services
for culturally diverse populations.
- Past experience working with and mentoring students
This position is primarily an in-office position however, it may
be considered for a hybrid schedule, depending on the needs and
approval of the ISSS Director. If the hybrid schedule
applies, there are required in-office dates such as one week prior
to orientation dates, during orientation, and the first two weeks
into each semester.
TO APPLY, VISIT:
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in
the application process will be provided to individuals with
disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365
(V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation.
The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.