Preparator & Operations Coordinator
The Samek Art Museum is a program of Bucknell University that
creates meaningful encounters between artists, students, scholars,
the public and works of art. The Museum presents original,
travelling, and collection exhibitions and public programs that
cover the range of art history with an emphasis on contemporary
art. The Museum maintains an active museum collection of over 5,000
objects, including 450 works installed across the campus. The
gallery programs and/or manages 3 spaces - the Samek Art Gallery on
campus (including offices, work-room, and collection study room),
Downtown Art Gallery, and off-site collections storage - totaling
4,500 square feet of exhibition and program space plus 4,000 of
storage and work space. The Galleries produce, on average, 12
exhibitions, 75 public programs, and 36 campus events
The Preparator & Operations Coordinator's responsibilities
include, but are not limited to, the following duties listed
roughly in order of priority and time from top to bottom. The
Preparator & Operations Coordinator reports to the Gallery
Director and fulfills their duties in accordance with campus,
state, and federal policies and laws as well as in keeping with
museum and gallery professional practices. For more information,
Supervise Student Employees
- Hire, train, and supervise student gallery guides /
- Manage student work-schedules, coordinating between student
needs, campus recesses, galleries' open hours, exhibition
installation and de-installation, and special events.
- Staff gallery if student becomes unavailable for scheduled
- Collect timesheets, ensure accuracy, and submit for
- Work with Registrar to train student employees in art-handling
and exhibition installation and to schedule students as needed for
installation, de-installation, and moving art on campus,
- Work with Public Programs & Outreach Manager to train
gallery attendants as docents and to schedule student employees for
event and outreach duties.
Assist with Exhibition Installation &
- Work with Registrar (project manager for exhibition
installations) to install and de-install exhibitions.
- Duties will include but are not limited to: receiving,
unpacking and, packing artworks; hanging and placement of artwork;
performing carpentry work such as crating or making pedestals;
spackling and painting; handling artworks on loan and permanent
collections; lighting exhibitions; matting and framing artworks;
and pick-up and delivery of artwork.
Assist with Art Handling
- Work with Registrar to transport art between collections
storage facilities and galleries, to hang or retrieve from campus,
and to off-site locations for framing, photography, etc.
Security and Facilities
- Open and close gallery facilities for public hours
- Schedule student employees and/or campus Public Safety to
assist with opening or closing as needed.
- Manage cleanliness and condition of gallery-managed facilities.
Initiate facility repairs and/or capital upgrades when
- Plan, maintain, and initiate upgrades to gallery and collection
security systems and procedures.
- Serve as department key contact and building emergency
- Maintain Facilities Emergency Plan that includes alternate
opening/closing procedure in the event of unexpected absences. Plan
should also include procedures for emergency evacuation of
facilities, securing of artworks, phone-tree and notifications,
resumption of business, etc.
Additional duties as assigned to include, but not limited
- Drive to transport art locally and to regional
- Submit student employee payroll bi-weekly.
- Reconcile department charge cards monthly.
- Order facilities supplies.
- Research, prepare, and submit capital project requests to the
- Deposit cash donations with campus Finance as needed.
Diversity & Inclusion Expectation:
- Actively contribute to Bucknell's efforts to foster a diverse
and inclusive campus community.
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of 1 year of relevant professional experience in
museums, arts or other cultural organizations
- Demonstrates progressively responsible experience in office
management, operations, and/or supervision of staff
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as an independent
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive a Sprinter
- Skilled with manual and portable power tools such as cordless
drill, orbital sander, etc.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends, as
- Background check required
- Work experience in visual arts organization such as art
gallery, museums, art dealer, art auction house, art movers,
- Bachelor's degree in Art, Museum Studies, or related
- Stand or walk 2-4 hours at one time, up to 6 hours per
- Sit for 2-4 hours at one time, up to 6 hours per
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of
the workday); lift or carry up to 10 pounds frequently (34-66% of
the workday); lift up to 50 pounds to waist height and up to 25
pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead:
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation,
pushing or pulling (34-66% of the workday);
- Occasionally bend, squat, reach overhead, kneel, climb ladders
up to 12 feet high, lift overhead, weld, push or pull with forces
up to 50 pounds (less than 33% of the work day);
- Work in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions;
possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and
physical agility, and ability to maintain balance.
- Very good visual acuity
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496876/preparator-operations-coordinator