Professional Expert - Lead Solar Energy Instructor - (COF)
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Sick leave and vacation only.
This position is not eligible for health benefits.
DO-KCCD Bakersfield Downtown
Under the direction of the Clean Energy Training Manager will
coordinate and conduct training, curriculum development and
training program planning activities related to solar power,
renewable energy and energy efficiency training.
The Lead Solar Energy Instructor will conduct and manage activities
related to workforce skills training for the renewable energy and
energy efficiency industries, with an emphasis on Solar
Education and Experience:
- Deliver training in lectures, labs and field experiences to
prepare participants for careers as Solar Technicians.
- Develop curriculum for workforce training in solar power
- Consult and collaborate with the renewable energy and energy
efficiency firms regarding their specific workforce needs and
solicit feedback regarding how well our training programs are
meeting their needs.
- Coordinate with other instructors in the Clean Energy program
and oversee training activities ensuring availability of
instructor's, classrooms, lab space, curriculum materials and
- Assist in the training and development of instructors.
- Provide basic technical assistance and faculty in-service
opportunities to enhance the District's capacity to provide clean
- Maintain current industry knowledge. Attend conferences and
- Work with grant partners to deliver on grant objectives.
- Provide trainees with career guidance and job search
- Set-up labs and oversee labs and e-learning activities.
- Provide input on training equipment purchases
- Prepare purchase requisition for approval by the Clean Energy
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Five years of related solar industry experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of trends in clean energy.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic
backgrounds of community college students.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions
(Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the
United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be
evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a
screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to
limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum
qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Industrial, electronic, mechanical, and hydraulic systems.
- Electronic circuit layout, designs and diagrams.
- Electronic and Mechanical troubleshooting.
- Electronic controls including programmable logic controls
- Solar PV systems.
- Power tools, meters and testing equipment.
- Electronics including:
- series and parallel circuit wiring,
- power sources
- Inverters; over-current protection, grounding, and surge
- Safety rules and practices..
- Solar PV installation practices.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Establish good working relationships with a variety of
individuals and organizations and facilitate inter-organizational
- Learn College and District organization and applicable
operations, policies, and procedures.
- Utilize internet research, computer word processing, electronic
mail, and spreadsheet programs.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Travel to meetings around the state.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the
position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time
limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any
Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate
in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/12223
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copies of legible transcripts
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application
Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community
College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to