ESL Instructor - Part-time Adjunct Pool
Kern Community College District
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
$60.00 per hour/Instructional
Flexible, as needed
This position is eligible for ACA health benefits only.
This is for an adjunct pool that will be used to staff part-time
adjunct positions for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 academic years.
Duties may consist of assignments in the fall and/or spring
semesters as well as the program's extended summer session.
The successful applicant will be expected to provide non-credit
instruction in a full range of English as a Second Language
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or
evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning
and using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: participation in student recruitment;
maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising
curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; assessment of
program learning outcomes; collegial participation in departmental,
college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL
emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL
emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis
Bachelor’s degree in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate,
linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a
TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL
Master’s degree in linguistics, applied linguistics, English,
composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading, speech, or any
The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and
other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the
stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who
feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and
submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE
Supporting documents must be included with the completed
- A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic,
socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions
(Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the
United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be
evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening
committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the
number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications
for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Provide instructional and/or non-instructional services as
specified by contract or assignment in a diverse campus and
- Maintain a course outline for each assigned course.
- Keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and
- Participate in the development and revision of curriculum.
- Provide current course orientation materials including syllabus
to each student.
- Use media aids, the library and other resources as
- Maintain currency in subject matter.
- Communicate with students and staff in a professional
- Demonstrate versatility in instructional methodology and
versatility in serving a diverse student population.
- Be familiar with and observe appropriate board policies and
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the
position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time
limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any
Completed application packet must include:
- Have the ability to work effectively and harmoniously with
students, colleagues, and others.
- Understand the advantages and challenges of providing ESL
instruction in a small, rural community college.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
- Have the ability to deliver instruction using strategies
designed for diverse learning styles.
- Have the ability to design learning objectives and assess
- Be willing to work with students who have a wide range of
skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals, as well as
cultural, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate
in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/12387
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Copies of legible transcripts
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application
Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community
College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to